First Day

"You can do this. You can do this. You can do this."
George repeated this mantra in his head as he made his way to Ringo Starr's (!!) house. He'd woken up at 6am, and as much as he tried, couldn't get back to sleep. Eventually at 8am he'd admitted defeat and gotten up. He attempted to distract himself by practicing his guitar for a couple of hours, and by the time to clock was reaching ten, gone to get ready. He decided to go for a black turtleneck with some black trousers- smart but casual.

"Nervous then?" John asked him, sauntering into the living room at 10:30.
"Duh. Why have you only just woken up?"
"Oh, you know. Stuff." John replied cryptically before ruffling George's hair.
"Oi! You bugger!" George groaned and the both of them dissolved into a fit of laughter.

Now here he was. Standing outside. With a shaking hand, he rung the door bell. The same jungle rung. Paul opened the door with a smiling face.
"George! Let's get started, shall we? Ringo's in the country currently, so we should get a lot done. He doesn't like us working when he's home, you see."
George nodded and followed him inside. Paul explained that after a couple of months of working here he'd try and get him a key to the house like him, so he wouldn't have to keep waiting for him.

The day passed without much happening. A lot of it was him setting himself up, and doing a few bits of admin, answering some fan mail, the like. George still found it very exciting.
"Righto. I'm off to the shops to get a few things and then I'll come back, lock up and we'll be on our way.", Paul chirrped as he left the room.

George was left alone in the grand house. Completely alone. A quick look around wouldn't hurt, right? He started by climbing the stairs and admiring the things on the walls. A couple of his records, some awards, and a photo of Ringo and a couple of other iconic musicians; Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Stevie Knicks, Jeff Lyne and the Rolling Stones. Practically royalty. Upstairs was very much the same as the downstairs, but done up slightly plainer. He had a feeling not many people came up here. Not sober, anyway.

After a bit more snooping, George found a drum kit. A drum kit that Ringo had actually played. Although he couldn't play, he'd dabbled in drumming slightly for a laugh (John had dared him to, ok?). He ran his hands down the edge of the drum sticks placed on the stool. Paul wouldn't be back for a little while yet. There wasn't any harm in having a little play.

George picked up the drums and began to mess around. He imagined there was a crowd infront of him. Cheering his name. "George! George! George!..."

"You don't play very well."
George jumped out of his skin at the low, northern voice. Shit! It was Ringo. Stood there in the doorway. He wore a red jacket, and his characteristic earring gleamed in the daylight, leaning casually agains the doorframe.

Oh fuck. He was so getting fired.

"Guitar!" George blurted out.
"I'm sorry?"
"I-I mean I play the g-guitar and I'm very sorry sirididntmeantoithoughtyouwouldntbecominghomeuntil.-"
George's rambling was interrupted by a laugh.
"Take a breath! God, you can tell Paul employed you! Look, it's fine. You didn't hurt anything. But don't let it happen again. Or you'll be out that door. Understand?" The last words were said harshly.
George nodded so vigorously he thought his head would drop off. Red with embarrassment, he scuttled out the door.

"Everything ok? I see Ringo's back"
Paul re-entered the office.
"Y-yup. Sure. Great." George replied, still dying on the inside. How could he have been so stupid?
"Oh. Cool. Look, can I pop back with you? John and I are going out to dinner. As mates! As mates." Paul rushed through the last sentence quickly, and if George wasnt having a mini crisis, he would've noticed something suspicious.
"Yeah. Hope you guys have fun."

John and Paul went off laughing together, leaving George alone in the flat. He ordered a pizza and thought about what a fucking loser he was. He couldn't even bring himself to play any of his records. Too many reminders. He just hoped he wouldn't bump into Ringo again for a while.