Chapter 14

« Liam ! »

Dean was speed walking toward the tall man as he was calling him. But the other didn't seem to see nor hear him and kept walking forward. Dean almost ran, trying to catch up as soon as possible. He needed to talk to Liam and explain or apologies. Anything. His heart wouldn't leave him in peace otherwise.

« Liam, attends ! (Liam, please wait !) »

His heart was frantic. As far as Dean knew, Liam was not affected by the dream, or at least for some reason, he didn't react to his presence. It seemed like there was no place in Liam's life for Dean and he didn't feel the same emptiness that Dean had tried to fill in all this time. The black haired man had accepted the dreams a long time ago but it was exhausting, being alone, missing someone but not knowing who it was that he wanted to see. Now that he had found the one that seemed to be the real deal, he really was scared of letting the person go. He had to get closer to him even for just a tiny bit. Everything else was just background noise.

« 원석 샘 잠간만요 ! (Won Seok saem jamkanmanyo - One moment please Teach' Won Seok !) » huffed Dean, as a last resort.

Liam's head snapped up, startled by the Korean call in the middle of the street. He turned to look at the younger man catching up to him, a brow raised in query. His face wasn't showing much more emotion apart from that, making Dean fretful by the minute.

« 죄송하는데 샘한테 말이 해야하니까요. (Choesonghanende saemhante mali haeyahanikayo - I'm sorry but I needed to talk to you) » he began to say, hesitation visible on his face.

Seeing that Liam kept quiet and nodded to let him know that he was listening, Dean took a deep breath, organizing his thoughts before speaking.

« Je ( I ) ... I am sorry I disappointed you. » he stuttered, back to French, his heart still pounding loudly from the run and his jumbled emotions.

« I know I was wrong to physically attack him, I just ... my friends were ... anyway it's my fault and it won't happen again. » Dean's head was low and he added a bow after his speech, willing to show by his actions how sincere he really was.

« How is your wound ? »

The voice was low and Dean almost missed the question. He looked up to the taller man, looking for a confirmation of the question on his face, but it still was as blank as before. Instead the dark green eyes were looking at him straightly, waiting for an answer. Dean took a look at his left arm, the bandage hidden behind his coat.

« It's okay, thanks to you. » responded Dean, cracking a smile in return.

Liam hummed in return and went back to walk on his way, leaving a stunned Dean on the sidewalk. He wasn't satisfied from just a small exchange with the man, he needed to initiate a conversation or something, allowing him to spend more time with him. Thus, deciding to follow him, Dean scampered behind Liam.

« By the way, where are you going ? »

« Personal business. »

« Can I come with you ? »

« Do you need anything else ? » Liam had stopped and now facing Dean, his eyes looking fierce.

His tone was curt and his word short, showing little to no interest in sharing time with the Thai man. The latter gapped not knowing what he could do or say. Receiving no answer, the Asian looking French man motioned back and stopped on his track when Dean finally found his voice back.

« I ... I was wondering if you would help me make my own guitar ? » Dean didn't know where the question came from, but it was as good an idea as anything else and he went with it.

« There are professional instrument makers ... » began to say Liam, before the other interrupted him.

« I would rather do it with you. Doing it myself, which would make it more special. And I know that you have the experience. Please help me ! »

« I will think about it. » Liam closed the conversation, letting no space for Dean to follow him.

Battling between hope and frustration, Dean still had to see the positive side of the situation. He had talked to the man on his own and even found a meaningful way to approach him. This time together was short but not useless and it should be enough for now.

Checking the time on his phone, the black haired man found Line messages from Win and his friends telling him to come and meet them at the local basketball court. A good way to release his stress.

As soon as Win saw him, he didn't wait for the dark haired man to get ready and just sent him the ball, motioning him to join the game. Assessing the situation, he saw that Amber and Lucy were in a team with Win and Yong Gi was in another with Tom. He didn't know how good were the others, but he certainly won't join hands with Win as a sport freak he was. That would be cheating ! Hence he sent the ball back to Yong Gi and quickly got rid of his bag and coat in a corner of the court before running to assist his team. Playing with them was fun. Unexpectedly, the girls were not so bad themselves but Tom was a mess. It was almost comical how he tried to score points and always ended up sending the ball farther than the basketball hoop.

« ดังนั้น (Dangnan - So), what did that empty head want from you ? » Win asked, referring to Bastien in his usual way.

The two of them were seated on a bench, leaning against the fence, taking a rest while the four others were under the hoop, trying to teach Tom how to score a basket. It wasn't going all so easily but the two Thai friends could hear laughter and Yong Gi's rant toward the clueless young British man.

« What is it between you two ? » sighed Dean at his best friend's question.

It has always amazed him how Win and Bastien couldn't get along all throughout their dating time. There was no visible reason for such disdain from Win and almost hatred from Bastien. Although Dean had to admit, Win was sometimes very protective of his friends, him more than anyone else maybe.

« That idiot can't put two and two together and always made trouble for you. I don't understand what it was that you liked in him. » scoffed Win a frown on his face.

« He was nice ! And ... » his voice trailed off.

« Yeah right, the sex ! You ! Are ! So perverted ! »

« As if you could talk. Do you think I didn't see you making out with that beautiful blonde girl on the boat ? » Dean smirked back, his grin getting wider as Win's face became still from shock.

Coughing to hide his embarrassment at being discovered, Win went back to his first question about the ex-lover.

« Apparently he is from here and wanted to reconnect. »

« You are not gonna get back at it with him ! » almost shouted at his best friend.

« Of course not, we broke up ! And ... » Dean didn't finish what he wanted to say, zoning out thinking about another French man that made him lose all confidence.

Understanding the dark haired man struggle, Win didn't say another word and patted his lowered head. Matters of the heart were never easy and more so when it was so special like Dean's.

Soon joined by the rest of the group, the two Thai men reverted to their common language and let the subject go. It was late already, the sun getting down earlier at this time of the year. It was better to get back home to rest from the previous night.

—————————————————-