Chapter Two | Jewel

San Diego, California (Team Red's Home Base)

Two Months After the Season 3 Finale

"Faster!"

"Harder!"

"Good, again!"

Julia Argent had been training with Carmen Sandiego and Shadowsan at their base for two months now. She was getting better at stealing and she had gotten significantly stronger. Carmen had told her that she was almost a good pickpocket as her, Julia had taken this as a compliment. Not only was she learning these new skills, she was also learning about Carmen and Shadowsan's history with VILE. Even when she thought she knew everything, she would learn something new. Never had she worked so hard in her life but been so happy. During the day she would train and study, in the late afternoon she would spend time with Ivy, Zack, and Carmen, and at night she would brainstorm about what Carmen had told her the first week she was here.

"You might want to change your getup to be easier to run around in,"

She was right of course, but lately she was wearing some of Carmen's training clothes. They didn't fit her slim and shorter figure very well, but it worked for now.

She was brought back from her thoughts by the deep voice that belonged to Shadowsan, "Perfect, Julia! Take a break!".

She stopped hitting the red punching bag and panted. She turned to face Carmen and Shadowsan's direction, who were having a conversation she could barely hear.

Carmen had been watching Jules train with Shadowsan for the past week and she knew that the former ACME agent was ready to go out in the field.

"I think she's ready to go on her first caper," Carmen said.

"Are you sure Carmen? She's only had two months of training as a thief," Shadowsan retorted.

Carmen made a face, "She worked at Interpol and ACME, not to mention she's incredibly smart. I think we should give her a chance, she's worked really hard!".

"As always Carmen, you are right. I'll ask Player if there's any chatter from VILE, you and Julia figure out what part she'll play, any tools she needs, all of that," Shadowsan said as he patted Carmen on the back and left the room.

Carmen chuckled a bit and walked over to Julia, who was gulping down a bottle of water. She was wearing a crimson red ill-fitting shirt that belonged to Carmen that was tucked into a pair of black running shorts that were borrowed from Ivy. Carmen had tried to get Julia to buy new clothes, but she refused, not wanting to take a break for her work. When Carmen had offered to buy them for her, she didn't let her "waste" her money on her.

"Hey Jules," Carmen greeted as she approached Julia.

Julia set her water bottle down on a box, and wiped the sweat off her forehead with a towel.

"Hi Carmen," she said, giving her a warm smile.

Carmen grinned back and pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear, "So, you're all clear to go on our next mission,".

Carmen's insides fluttered as she saw Julia beam. Julia raised her arm and balled her hand into a fist, then she brought it down quickly with an enthusiastic "yes!". Carmen watched as Julia realized the brunette had been watching her and became flustered.

"I-I mean," her voice faltered as she straigheted herself out and erased the smile from her face, "Thank you for this opportunity,".

"Don't worry Jules, you can be excited," Carmen said, holding back a small chuckle.