Shotgun

Shotgun:the front passenger seat in a vehicle.

It was almost unfair, despite knowing the circumstances; the boy knew pretty much everything about him, yet he knew very little about the bundle of nervous energy beside him that he has claimed as his successor.

Perhaps... he should fix that.

Everyday it got a little bit easier for him.

He looked less intimidated as he stepped onto the debri ridden beach. Every piece of trash, big or small, didn't put as much strain on him as it did the day before. Day by day the large, daunting pile of trash got smaller and the flame of pride in his chest got bigger.

"Hurph!"

A flame that was quickly doused by exasperation at seeing the boy vomit...

Again.

Toshinori sighed and shrugged over dramatically. While it didn't happen too often, the vomiting was still a problem, one he was going to have to address. He looked up at the sky, finally taking notice of the dwindling natural light and the dark clouds. "Young Midoriya it's getting late, why don't we call it a day."

"N-no! I..I can..keep...going." Izuku wheezed, his face greener than his hair.

"Your vomiting and obvious exhaustion does little to reassure me." Toshinori retorted, his tone stern. Izuku winced and opened his mouth to defend himself only to be interrupted by a wet burp and quickly duck his head in preparation, his entire body heaving. Toshinori quickly made his way over to his pupil, sidestepping the bile near the boy's feet, and gently rubbed his back. Izuku was slightly embarrassed to have his hero see him in such a state but it did not stop him from leaning into the touch. Once Izuku was done dry heaving and was certain he wasn't going to puke again, he slowly straightened up, leaning ever so slightly on Toshinori for support.

"Gather your things, we're leaving." Toshinori said, not unkindly.

Izuku jolted awake and pulled away, if it weren't for Toshinoris firm grip on his shoulders he would have collapsed. "C-come on, just a little bit longer-?"

"No, Young Midoriya you can barely stand right now."

"B-but w-we, I, hardly got anything done today."

"Nonsense, you got a significant amount done for the day." Toshinori wasn't lying either, while it was compiled of small or medium sized items, Izuku had managed to almost completely fill the back of the truck. Izuku simply shook his head and tried to move. Toshinori gripped his shoulder, ignoring the soft whine coming from the boy.

"J-just let me carry one more thing! Then-"

"No." Toshinori interrupted, sharply. Izuku winced but refused to give up.

"C-come on, just one-"

"Young Midoriya."

"T-then we can go! I promise-!"

"No, Young Midoriya. It's getting late, you're tired, you have school, and we must get all of this to the dump before they close." Toshinori said, making sure his tone made no room for arguments, and quickly but gently guided his wobbly successor to the exit of the beach. They were almost to the stairs when a stifled sniffle made him freeze in his tracks, and his insides.

Don't give in, don't give in, don't give in. Toshinori repeated the mantra in his head, determinedly avoiding the boy's gaze as he kept him and his pupil moving. Knowing all that was waiting for him was big watery green eyes that managed to crumple his willpower to nothing.