Injury

Injury: the fact of being injured; harm or damage.

A low groan, made his heart both jump in relief and plunge his stomach into bottomless dread. All of the worst case scenarios popped into his head at once as he raced toward the pitiful noise, his brain only able to supply him with one thought and one thought only.

Please be okay.
                                                                                            ***

"...And you remember all the emergency numbers?"

"Yeah."

"There's food already made in the fridge just heat it up when you're hungry."

"Okay, thanks mom--"

"Please don't have any of your friends over without my permission."

"That...won't be a problem."

"Whenever you leave make sure you lock the doors on your way out and at night."

"I will--"

"If you need anything or if something's wrong, call me. Actually, just call me everyday--!"

"Mom, please! I'll be fine!" Izuku laughed, exasperated, his mom was standing at the door with her bags at her feet looking worried. They had been going back and forth like this for over twenty minutes. About a few days ago his mom had informed him that her sister had invited her to her home to spend some time together for a few days. When she had informed Izuku she sounded more hesitant than excited at the offer and from the overbearing gaze on her face Izuku immediately knew what was holding her back and quickly reassured her that she deserved a break and he'll be fine. It had taken almost the entire day, and a boatload of stipulations, to convince her but it was all worth it to see his mom hurriedly pack in flustered excitement.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Inko asked, surveying her son with the utmost scrutiny.

"Yes, mom. It's just for a few days. I'll be fine, I promise!"

"I know, it's just--I never..." Inko pursed her lips and went silent. The unspoken, "I've never left you alone before," rang in the heavy silence. A small part of her knew she was being ridiculous; her boy was fifteen and was relatively responsible for his age. Like he said, it was only for a few days and she was certain most of Izuku's time would be spent prepping for the UA exams, and she could get a hold of him anytime. So there really shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Yet--

There was an unidentifiable force rooting her in place, a little whisper in the back of her mind telling her that the minute she left, something was going to happen. As she stared at her son--the only thing she had left in this world--all the 'what ifs' swirled inside her brain.

He could get hurt training. The apartment could burn down. Someone could break in and he wouldn't be able to defend himself--

"Mom."

A soft but firm hand held her own and she was pulled out of her maternal spiral, her eyes watered up and before she could stop herself, her body moved on it's own and wrapped her arms around her boy tightly, Izuku returned the hug with no hesitation. For a few moments the only sounds were her sniffling and Izuku trying to soothe her worries, until she found the strength to set back and see her boy smiling, eyes misty but filled with confidence and reassurance. Two things that she would never associate with her timid and awkward son. Inko gave a watery grin of her own, the weight on her chest wasn't completely lifted, it was shifted just enough to breathe a little bit easier.