iii

[ t h r e e ]

"Deep down I knew, i've always known that he would choose them over me. Doesn't make it hurt any less though..."

"I just don't get it! Why would she say something like that?" Sirius exclaimed

He was currently sat in a squishy, purple armchair in a secluded corner of the library, firing answerless questions at Lily Evans, who currently occupied the seat opposite, becoming more and more irritated with his constant rambling.

"Stay away from her? What does that even mean? She's my best friend for Merlin's sake! Does she honestly think I care that she's a parslemouth? Like seriously though, I don't care, she hasn't spoken to me in days, all I want is one conversation, just one-"

"SIRIUS. Will you be quiet. Truthfully i'm not surprised she's grown tired of you if this is how blooming needy you are." she cried, slamming her quill on the desk. "Look," she said, her tone softening significantly, "Christy just wants some space, she's been avoiding us all. If you really care about her, then leave her be. She'll come around. She's going through a tough time right now, she's probably seen herself in a whole new light. With what Peter said, and our not-so-helpful reactions, maybe she's feeling a little out of it. Give her some time okay? And for Merlin's sake, let me complete this essay in peace!"

Slightly taken aback by her sudden mood swing, Sirius plastered on a smile, stood up, bid her goodbye and as soon as she was out of eyesight, sprinted as fast as his legs could carry him, all the way back to Gryffindor tower. Just as he rounded they corner, and the painting of the Fat Lady was in sight, he came to an abrupt halt.
Stood before him, was none other, than Regulus Black.

It was simply impossible to just ignore him, and turning back and going the other way wasn't an option, so summoning up all of his Gryffindor courage, he held his head high, and shoulders back, just like a true Black would, and strode towards him.

"Regulus." he nodded curtly.

"Sirius." he returned. "What's the hurry?"

"Just.... things to attend to." he replied, trying to keep up his composure.
"What, like making up with that freak, half-blood you call a best friend?" he spat, a look of utmost disgust gracing his features.
"Hey! No one speaks about my friends like that. Besides, we never fell out, so I simply have no idea what you're talking about." he retorted, glaring daggers at his brother.

"What do you take me for, a fool?" he laughed haughtily, "i've never seen someone brood so obviously as you do, stalking around that castle with a face like thunder? I'm not a prat, unlike others I see." he commented, looking Sirius up and down.

Gritting his teeth, Sirius had to practically clamp his jaw shut in order not to say something he'd regret. But suddenly, as if a wave of emotion burst from within, he couldn't help himself.
"You know what Reg, I do take you for a fool. In fact, you are the biggest prat I've ever met, save for Snape of course. Know why? Because you're a smart boy Reg, real smart, smarter than me, not that that's difficult." he let out a dry laugh, "But you're too much of a coward to stand up to mother and father."