CH 11: Terrible First Impressions

A dark blue Lamborghini Aventador S rolled up beside a black BMW. The windows were tinted in black, almost matching the roof. Shiny steel wheels flared under the blazing sun. They slowed down to a stop.

Shortly after, a car door opened.

It rose upwards unlike most vehicles.

Cut in a retro curtain style, a head of brown hair and blonde highlights stepped out of the vehicle. The side-swept bangs tickled a bushy eyebrow. Pink plump lips parted open on top of a chiseled jaw. The open dress shirt exposed a sculpted chest. A pair of radiant blue eyes gleamed as if hiding a secret.

Wherever they looked, they made hearts flutter.

"Mikael." Another figure emerged from the passenger side. "Man, you just got back. Why are you heading for the studio?"

A bronze hand shut the door close. Shiny leather shoes strutted around the car. Matching red jacket and trousers glistened under the light. The black silk undershirt did the same. Wide chocolate eyes squinted from the bright sun rays.

"I want to surprise Luna." Mikael smirked, taking out a cigarette. His companion slapped it away immediately. He raised his hands in surrender, smirking at the annoyed face.

"Old habits, Jordan. Sorry."

"Yeah, yeah, old habits." Jordan snorted. He pointed to the employee entrance. "Walk ahead of me so I can keep an eye on you and your rebellious ass."

Mikael merely shrugged and climbed up the stairs. He waved a hand at the security guard. The place looked exactly like he remembered it—not that a lot changed over the past few weeks. Vibrant portraits welcome him inside. His feet led him down a familiar path, taking a left turn. Opaque floor-to-ceiling glass windows appeared in his vision.

He proceeded to knock at the door, tucking both hands in his pockets.

"No answer?" Jordan asked as soon as he caught up. He clicked his tongue as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Maybe she's not around. She is a businesswoman after all."

Mikael wasn't convinced.

Luna had told him she'd stay in the building. He tricked it out of her so he could succeed in the surprise. Even before his overseas project, he failed to visit her over a couple of weeks. He figured she'd be upset if he didn't see her as soon as his plane landed.

His eyebrows scrunched together.

Then, his gaze flickered back to the hallway he took earlier.

"Is there someone in the studio?" He thought out loud. His legs moved before he even processed his words. He sped down the corridor, craning his neck. The route led him to the other end of the floor.

White light peeked from under a door.

It opened and a hunched janitor stepped out, pushing a trolley of cleaning tools. He kept his eyes on the floor. Deep age lines carved his face.

Mikael picked up his pace. He tapped the maintenance worker. "Hey, Luke. Mind telling me what's going on inside?"

"Oh, Sir Davis. It's you." The old man beamed. He straightened his posture and cleared his throat. The male model never failed to boost his mood. "How may I help you today?"

"Good to see you, Luke." Mikael chuckled. Sneaking a peek at the door, he jabbed a thumb towards the studio. "Is Luna in there?"

"She is."

"What? She already started her Ancient Rome campaign?" He laughed, skepticism dripping in his tone. "Who is it? Lena? Lotte? Lisha? She has a thing for female names that start with 'L'."