CH 66: Light Up that Bulb

"You... You..." Eve began to say. The blood on her face rushed into her ears, making them pink. She probably looked like a tomato by now. His teasing jolted her awake. She needed to find a way out for the time being.

"I-I need to say goodbye to Luna," she stammered, stepping away from his grip. Her head craned over the crowd in search of the designer—her legs already on the move. She used the collection's models as guides, thinking they would be around Luna.

"Why not message her?" Ambryan asked as he followed her. His towering presence moved people away from their path.

Eve glared over her shoulder. She didn't stop her pursuit. A waiter stepped back before they could collide. "You of all people should know that it's common courtesy to bid the host farewell. You can just wait by the entrance if you're not up for it."

"You're not going alone in this state."

"Fine," she huffed, halting in her steps. Then, pointed a finger at him. "But social distancing."

Ambryan raised his eyebrows. What was with this treatment? Had he done anything wrong? Again? Did the reason from last time apply to this moment? "You wound me. What would people think of me if I don't stay close to my own girlfriend?"

"That you are the professional as you're supposed to be."

Eve spun on her heel and resumed her walk. She followed the dense parts of the crowd. Someone like Luna Athon had to be surrounded by a large group. Ambryan trailed behind, watching out for her safety. Anyone who attempted to approach received a dirty look from him.

If they would strike up a conversation, the couple wouldn't be able to leave soon.

Yes, that was his reason behind this behavior.

(A/N: *Cai snorts* In his head maybe. But his heart? Hmmm.)

While in the middle of their mini adventure, Richard and Stuart also left the same spot. They moved on to join other businessmen, intending to find more opinion on the financial market. To their surprise, these businessmen had another topic in the minds. They asked the duo about Ambryan's relationship.

Richard and Stuart exchanged a look. They signed a silent agreement with the use of their eyes. Then, they proceeded to narrate the short encounter. THey added compliments and praises with everything they shared.

Soon, more people wanted to meet Evangeline.

...

...

...

...

...

Charlee choked out a gasp. She came back down to reality as it crumbled any fantasy she conjured. Her eyes blinked several times as her mind processed the sequence of events. Her vision clouded when it happened, making it seem like a dream.

Avery... the biatch... Ambryan... the biatch... girlfriend...

The world around her spun. The endless chatter increased in volume and overlapped in her ears. Everyone talked about the hottest couple in the party. They taunted her and ridiculed her thoughts. Any resolution she came crashing.

'This... this wasn't what was supposed to happen!'

"Haven't I told you, Ms. Edwards?" Avery spoke from behind. She approached the aspiring actress like a predator to a prey. Her lips wore an unapologetic smile. "Please stay away from my son. He is already committed to a relationship."

"Ms. Avery..." Charlee breathed out. Color slowly seeped back into her lips. "I—This is—"

"Mark my words, Ms. Edwards. Things won't end well for you if you try to meddle." The madam turned to her companion, already walking away. She had wasted enough breath on someone who wouldn't listen nor heed her warnings.