Chapter three

"Hey Nya, I need your help. Like right now. Can you come over?"

I look over at my clock, 2:00 pm. I bite my lip.

"Sure, I'll be there in ten."

Jay thanks me and hangs up. I can almost hear the smile in his voice when he thanked me. I pull on my boots before walking downstairs. Dad is sat at the kitchen table, frantically scribbling on a piece of paper. Mom is sat scrolling through her laptop.  Kai is probably out on the swing with Skylor. I sit next to mom and lean over slightly.

"What are you-"

Mom closes the laptop, making me jump, at the action.

"It's nothing sweetheart," mom says gently, placing a hand on my arm.

"Mom...could you possibly take me to Jay's? He-he needs my help with something and I'd said I'd go. It-it's okay if you can't," I can't help but ramble slightly.

"Hey, I will."

I smile, jump up and try to pull mom to her feet. She laughs at my eagerness and stands up. Mom leads me to her car and drives me to Jay's house.

***
I frantically knock on Jay's door, praying something bad hasn't happened to him. I've only known Jay for two weeks, but I trust him with my life. I knock harder, trying to get Jay to answer the door. The door clicks as Jay unlocks it.

"Oh thank god you're here," Jay grabs my arm and drags me inside.

"What's wrong? What happened?"

Jay silently leads me to the basement. As he opens the door, I start to hear heartbroken, near-hysterical sobbing come from downstairs. I pick my cart up and Jay leads me downstairs into the basement.

In the basement, Lloyd is curled up on one of the chairs, sobbing hysterically into his knees. I place the cart down and look worriedly at Jay. Jay bites his lip and sighs quietly.

"He's been like this for nearly half an hour now. He won't tell me what's bothering him."

I walk over and sit on the arm of the chair. I gently place my hand on his arm, making him jolt at the action. When he doesn't pull away, I gently rub his arm. Did something happen before or after the surgery?

"Lloyd, what happened?" I ask gently.

Lloyd sighs shakily and sits up to look at me. His eyes are red and puffy, indicating he's been crying for a while as Jay had said. I rub his arm as he wipes his eyes.

"Did something happen before the surgery?" I ask.

Lloyd nods shakily and leans against my side. I rub his shoulder as he tries to control his breathing. Jay sits on the other chair and looks at Lloyd in concern. I shuffle slightly and rest my head on top of Lloyd's. I gently take his hand and rubs circles on his knuckles. Lloyd sighs shakily.

"H-Harumi b-broke u-up w-with m-me," Lloyd stutters.

"What?!" Lloyd jumps at mine and Jay's yell.

"Why?" I ask.

"W-when she found out I wasn't going to be able to see again."

I rub his shoulder and Jay looks at Lloyd empathetically. Lloyd buries his head into my arm and shakes. I rub his arm gently, trying to help calm him down. Jay places a hand on Lloyd's other shoulder and rubs it gently. Lloyd lets out a soft whimper and presses his head deeper into my arm. I run one hand through his hair, desperately trying to get him to calm down. Lloyd sniffles and wipes his eyes. He smiles weakly and rests against my arm. I gently wrap my arm around his shoulders. Jay looks over towards the cabinet and his eyes light up adorably. Wait...adorably? Nya stop it! Yes, he is cute but...do I like, like him?

"Hey, I have an idea."

Lloyd and I look over at Jay who has now opened the cabinet to show what appear to be hockey trophies. Lloyd and I glance at each other before looking back at Jay. Jay grabs one of the trophies and smashes it, making Lloyd and I jump in surprise.

"Whenever I'm upset or mad about something, I normally smash something. It helps."

Jay grabs an armful of trophies and places them onto Lloyd's lap. Lloyd takes a minute to find one. He gets a good grip on it, holding it firmly in his right hand.

"Go on," Jay encourages.

Lloyd throws the trophy onto the floor, successfully smashing it. I jump at the sudden sound. Lloyd grabs two more trophies and smashes them. I smile when I spot a small smile come across Lloyd's face. I slowly back away from Lloyd and stand by Jay, allowing Lloyd to continue his trophy smashing session in peace.

"I hope them trophies weren't important..." I say quietly.

"No, they weren't. They're just like the plastic ones you can buy at the Dollar store."

I giggle and we both carry on watching Lloyd. I turn my head and look over at Jay. As I look closer, I can see that he has cute little freckles mostly across his nose but has a few on his cheeks as well. Unknowingly, I reach my hand out towards Jay's. I jump when I feel someone take my hand. I look down and notice that Jay has taken my hand. I look up at him and spot an adorable blush on his face. I feel my own face heat up as I pull my hand away so I don't make him too uncomfortable.

Okay, so maybe I do like, like Jay.

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I have an updating schedule sorted out. This will probably be updated every Thursday but I may update it on a Sunday too, depending on how much of the next chapter I have written. Hope you're all staying safe and well.