Chapter Eight

Last night was one of the best nights of my life. When Jay had kissed me, it felt like I had a thousand butterflies in my stomach. It was almost intoxicating like I couldn't get enough of it. Enough of him. I smile and blush just thinking about him. I can still feel the soft tingle Jay left on my lips. His lips were so soft on mine and when he held me I felt like nothing could harm me. It was last night that I realised, that I'd fallen head over heels for Jay.

I look down at Jay's sleeping form and smile, he's adorable when he sleeps. I slowly climb out of bed and walk towards the vanity. I sit down in the white chair which has a pale grey cushion on it. As I comb my fingers through my short black hair, I look at myself in the mirror.

I look a lot paler than I was three years ago when I was first diagnosed. My eyes also look duller. Instead of bright, shiny hazel eyes, I now have dull, almost lifeless hazel eyes. I stop combing my hair and gently drum my fingers on the table. A low groan makes me turn around.

Jay is slowly sitting up, his hair sticking it out in every direction. I can't help but giggle at his appearance. He smiles and puts his prosthetic on before walking over to me. He hugs me from behind.

"Are you ready for today?" Jay asks, his voice is slightly husky, due to just waking up.

"Yeah, I am," I reply, leaning back and smiling up at him.

Jay smiles back, "I'll let you get ready."

Jay grabs a towel and heads to the door. He unlocks it and lets me out. I walk across the hallway to my room. I rap my knuckles against the door, waiting for mom to let me in. Mom opens the door and allows me to enter our room. I walk over to my suitcase and open it. I pull out a plain white crop top, a pair of pale blue jeans and a black coat. I quickly get changed and grab my black trainers. Just as I pull on my second trainer, there's a knock on the door. Mom answers it.

Jay is stood in a blue hoodie and black sweatpants. His hair is pulled away from his face but is still as messy as normal. He smiles at me and mom. I stand up, grabbing my bag on the way to the door. Jay takes my hand as soon as I'm in reach.

"We'll be back before sunset Mrs Smith," Jay says, pulling me out of the room.

***
Twenty minutes later, Jay and I are stood in front of a brick layered house. I step forward before rapping my knuckles on the plain black door. There's a yell from inside. Thirty seconds later, the door creaks open.

The man who answers the door is about five foot seven. He has short pale brown hair and blue eyes. Just as I open my mouth to say something, the door slams shut in our faces. I turn to look at Jay who shrugs.

"What are they doing here?!"

There's a soft reply.

"I didn't think they'd actually come here!"

That hurts. Our childhood hero invited us to come out here and now he doesn't want us here. I sigh quietly and draw small circles on the floor with my toes. The door creaks open, making me jump and look up.

Maxwell Hickman, the man who answered the door the first time, is now stood in the doorway. He doesn't say anything but opens the door wider and steps out of the way, inviting us in. Jay grabs my hand and leads us in.

Hickman leads us into the living room. I immediately wrinkle my nose at the stench of the room. I look towards the end of the sofa to see three empty bottles of alcohol scattered across the end table. Jay leads me to the empty sofa and sits down. I sit next to him just as the door opens.

A man, who is around six-foot, walks in. He's got long blonde hair which falls in front of his eyes.

"Would you two like anything?" He asks.

Jay and I glance at each other before shaking our heads. The man walks back out of the room.

I turn to look at Jay, "how are the-"

Hickman burps loudly, interrupting me. I flinch at the sound and try again.

"How are the eyes made?" I ask.

Hickman ignores the question and drinks straight from the bottle. I look at Jay who shrugs. I sigh and try a different question.

"Can you make the eye sockets?" I ask.

"Finch! Bring me some salad!"

I sigh and look over at Jay. Jay smiles at me reassuringly and mouths 'it's okay, he's just being ignorant.'

"How are the eyes made?" Jay asks.

Hickman takes a long drink from the bottle but doesn't reply. He's ignoring us.

***
After twenty minutes of Jay and I trying to talk to Hickman, we give up and get ready to leave. Just as we get to the front door, we hear a yell from the living room.

"You know what? I'm quitting!"

Jay and I share looks. There are quiet footsteps as Hickman's assistant, Finch, walks down towards the door. He opens the door and lets the three of us out.

"I'm sorry about him," he says, shutting the door and leading us down the stairs, "he's always been like that."

"It's okay. I just wasn't expecting him to be like that," Jay says.

"I'm Seth," he extends his hand out to us, "you can contact me anytime you need me."

Jay and I both shake his hand before he leaves. Jay takes my hand and leads me back to the hotel.

***
"Nya?" Jay asks as we sit down on his bed.

"Yeah?" I rest my head on his shoulder.

"I have something I need to tell you."

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Sorry it's kinda short and that I left it on a cliffhanger. Hope you're all staying safe and well.