Chapter Four

Ten minutes later, Lloyd finishes his trophy smashing.

"Feel better?" Jay asks.

Lloyd sniffles and nods, blowing his nose in a tissue. I smile from my seat next to him.

"It'll be okay Lloyd," I say, gently sitting down next to him.

He seems to sense that someone is sat next to him because he leans into me. I stroke his hair gently. Jay disappears upstairs.

A minute later, Jay comes back with Misako. Misako gently takes Lloyd's arm and leads him upstairs. I curl up on the chair Lloyd was sat on and wait for Jay to come back again. I hear light footsteps and very faint clangs. I turn my head to see Jay coming down the stairs, holding a book. Jay sinks into the other chair and places the book on his lap.

"You seemed to be interested in my stuff last week so, I thought you'd like to read this."

Jay holds the book out to me. The Art of Inventing by Maxwell Hickman.

"I love this book!"

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Jay jolt slightly.

"Sorry, I have it at home and I've read it too many times."

Jay chuckles and opens the book. He flips to the last page.

"Y'know how it ended halfway through explaining what an Aibo was?" {1}

"Yeah, why didn't he finish it? Or make a second book?" I ask.

Jay sighs. "I don't know, apparently he hasn't written anything for years."

"Oh."

I fiddle with my shirt and lean back in the chair. Jay also leans back.

"What do you think the ending would be?" I ask.

"The only thing left is the eyes," Jay replies, "which would need the eye sockets from page two hundred and the coloured lightbulbs."

"Yeah. I've tried to contact him in the past but I never got a reply."

"So, here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to look and for an email. I will let you know if I find one."

I smile and stand up. "Thank you, Jay."

Jay stands up and leads me towards the stairs. "You're welcome Nya."

He leads me up the stairs and to the back door. He opens it. I don't know what comes over me but I hug him, wrapping my arms around his torso. I feel him tense up and I instantly regret it. As I go to pull away, he wraps his arms around me in return. I smile and pull away.

"I'll message you later?"

I nod and walk towards the car.

***
It's been three hours since I got back. I plug my earphones in and play some music from my phone. I lay down and open The Art of Inventing.

My music gets rudely interrupted by my phone buzzing. I look down and see a text from Jay.

Jay: I found an email address. It's for Hickman's assistant. It is: ********.

I smile and message back.

Nya: thank you so much.

Jay: no problem, also I've already emailed it and got a reply. He said he's not gonna write a second book.

Nya: thank you

I open my laptop and go onto my emails. Once I have a new email open, I type in the email address Jay sent me.

Dear Mr Maxwell Hickman,
(C/O Seth Finch)
My name is Nya Pixie Smith. My friend Jay Walker received an email from you at this address. I hope you don't mind Jay shared this email with me.

Mr Hickman, I understand that from your email to Jay, you aren't planning to write another book. I have been inventing since I was about six years old and I have always used your book for inspiration, especially when I got diagnosed with stage IV cancer and metastasis. I'm continuing to use it for inspiration.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions about the final part Aibo. How are the eyes made? There are a pair of eye sockets shown on page two hundred but it doesn't explain how they were made. How do you make them? Can you make them?

Anyway, if you do write another book, I would love to read it, even if you don't want to publish it. For the record, I would read your grocery lists.

Yours with great admiration,
Nya Pixie Smith (16)

I shakily click send and close my laptop. I turn over and drifts off.

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Sorry, it's out so late, it was meant to come out on Thursday but I only had 30 words written. Hope you're all staying safe and well.

{1} Aibo is a robotic pet