Chapter Ten

"What are we doing here?" I ask as Jay and I climb out of the car.

Jay hadn't told us where we were going but now I recognise it. The house itself is huge, with brick layering and a concrete path. I shut the car door and walk towards the hedges which line the edges of the house. I turn back to see Lloyd standing outside the closed car door. Jay pokes his head around the side of the car, holding out an egg box. What the-? Jay looks over at me and gives me a small nod, indicating that this was his plan all along.

"Hey, Lloyd!"

Lloyd jolts and turns to the sound of Jay's voice. Jay walks over to him and rests a hand on his shoulder.

"How would you feel about egging Harumi's house?"

Lloyd doesn't reply, making me glance at Jay. He mouths 'I thought he'd like it.' I shrug and look back at Lloyd. Suddenly, the corners of his mouth start to tug up. I smile as his face lights up like a Christmas tree. He glances around, trying to find Jay.

"Where are the eggs?"

Jay opens the box and places an egg in Lloyd's open hand. Lloyd wraps his fingers around it, trying to get a good grip on it. Swinging his arm back, almost hitting Jay in the face, he throws his egg. The egg splats into the long, not so freshly cut, grass. I walk over and take the egg box from Jay. Jay guides Lloyd's arm so his arm is aiming more towards the car. I place an egg into Lloyd's hand. Lloyd throws the egg towards the car. It lands, almost perfectly, onto the front window of the car. Jay and I smile at each other when Lloyd smile gets wider.

***
Egging Harumi's house was one of the best things we could do to help Lloyd through his heartbreak. When Jay drove to Lloyd's, he wouldn't stop thanking him. I'd do anything for him, he's my best friend.

Jay pulls up in front of my house and stops the car. He leans over and gently takes my hand, giving it a comforting squeeze.

"Nya...if I don't make it-"

"You will," he has to.

"If I don't make it...promise me you'll move on, in life."

I glance down at my jeans and pull on a loose piece of leather from the seat. Jay squeezes my hand tighter and rubs circles on my knuckles. It's quiet for a couple of minutes. Jay's arm wraps around my shoulders and he pulls me towards him.

"Oh Nya...it's okay, it's okay."

"It's not okay!" I want to scream, but I don't. I can't. How can it be okay? How can any of this be okay?!

Jay rubs circles on my back as I rest my head against his shoulder. I sniffle and wipe my wet cheeks with the back of my hand. Jay grabs my other hand and squeezes it tightly, rubbing circles on my knuckles.

"I promise Nya, everything is going to be okay."

***
A couple of days later, Jay invites me to his house for dinner with his parents, whom I've never met before.

Walking into the kitchen, I see a woman with pale brown hair, tied up into a bun. A man, I'm presuming is Jay's father, has short whitish, grey hair and pale blue, almost dull eyes. He looks up at me and smiles widely.

"You must be Nya. Jay's told you so much about you!"

I feel my face heat up. I sneak a glance at Jay to see him scratching the back of his neck, clearly embarrassed. Jay leads me to one of the dining chairs and helps me sit down. He sits in the chair next to me and takes my hand under the table.

Jay's mother hands out the food and we all dig in.

"This is lovely Mrs Walker," I say, shovelling food into my mouth.

She giggles and smiles, "thank you Nya, and please call me Edna."

"Nya's right...this is amazing but nothing can beat the food from the Wish House."

I nod in agreement and carry on shovelling the chicken curry into my mouth. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Edna and her husband share wide smiles.

***
Buzz! Buzz!

I groan and turn over, blindly reaching for my phone, which is on my bedside table. After a few seconds of smacking my bedside table, I find my phone. I pull my phone towards me, before grabbing it and turning it over, instantly blinded by my phone screen. After blinking the bright light out of my eyes, I check my recent calls to see that Jay called me. I click call and shakily hold the phone to my ear, praying nothing bad has happened.

"Jay?" I ask as soon as the ringing stops, "what's wrong?"

"Nya, this is Ed Walker, Jay's father."

"What," I bite my lip nervously, almost not wanting to ask, but I need to know, "what's happened?"

There's a heavy and shaky sigh from the other side of the phone. I feel my eyes fill with tears, dreading what Ed is going to say to me.

"He...we took him to the Emergency Room...he woke up with chest pains half an hour ago."

"Can...can I come?" I bite my lip harder, almost drawing blood. If he's going to die today, I want to see him one last time.

"Of course Nya."

I hang up and rush out.

***
The waiting room is extremely quiet, it makes sense, considering it's three in the morning. I sigh and pick at a loose thread on my pyjama bottoms. Looking around, it makes me remember why I hate hospitals so much. The nurses and doctors are standing around the waitig room, talking to themselves. They take, what they think is discreet, glances at the visitors and/or family members of the patients here. The receptionist on the front desk hadn't let me go and see Jay immediately. Hopefully, they'll let me see him soon. I want-no-I need to see him.

The door from the right opens. I look up to see Edna walking in. Standing up, I run over to her, hoping to get some news on Jay.

"How is he? Can I see him? Is he okay? Is he-"

"Hey, slow down sweetheart. I'll answer your questions. Let's go and sit down."

Edna places a hand on my back and leads me back towards the seats. We sit down on seats next to each other and she turns so she's facing me.

"Jay...Jay is fine, at the moment. I'm sorry but...you're not allowed to see him. They're only letting our family in at the minute. You should be able to see him soon. Fingers crossed."

Edna crosses two of her fingers on her right hand and places her left hand on my shoulder. I look up into her kind eyes and realise kindness isn't the only emotion reflecting in her eyes. There's grief, but also...acceptance? I try and push that thought to the back of my mind and look up at her.

"Can...can I stay here? I-I don't want to leave..."

"Of course sweetheart. If you need us, just ring Jay's phone. And don't hesitate to do so."

I nod and continue to pick at the loose thread again. I glance at the clock. 2:30 am. I cover my mouth to stifle a yawn before leaning my head against the window sill.

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It was meant to come out yesterday but I couldn't finish it before my call started. Hope you're all staying safe and well.