Chapter Seven

"Did you see Ruth's face when she lit the cigarette? I thought she was about to keel over," Elizabeth laughed as she and her husband cleaned up their daughters toys.

She had fallen asleep in their bed after tea and they didn't want to disturb her for awhile. They had nothing to do for the next few hours until dinner.

Thomas laughed along nodding his head. He disliked Ruth and cal but he was much better at hiding it than either of them were.

"Who's with us for dinner this evening?" Elizabeth asked sitting down on one of the couches. She really didn't want to be with people she hated.

Thomas moved to his folder knowing he had set out a table tonight. A rather small one. Thankfully.

"We are with Molly, the Countess and the Astor's," Thomas smiled moving to sit with his wife. He had to leave again to talk with the crew in awhile. His wife would be getting ready for dinner then.

Looking down, he chuckled softly seeing his wife was falling asleep on his shoulder.  Everyone was exhausted from the sea air and he had noticed Elizabeth had a restless night the night before.

***

Moving around the room quietly trying not to disturb her daughter, Elizabeth took her gloves and her shawl before moving to leave the suite. She met her husband in the corridor before they moved to the stair case.

"I won't stay tonight. I'm rather tired and I would like to be back early," Elizabeth said fixing her gloves as she moved closer to her husband.

She was careful not to trip on her dress as she walked down the stairs. She was already growing tired of the societal outings and dinners but she knew it would only get worse in America.

"I think I'll get an early night too. These things get very tiring, very quickly," Thomas sighed fixing his collar before they entered the dining room.

They made polite conversation with people as they moved towards their table. Elizabeth raised her hand and waved at Rose across the dining room. She frowned when the girl could barely give her a smile back.

"Ah here they are," JJ smiled looking at his friends. He stood and greeted them both before everyone settled into their seats and began dinner conversation.

Listening to Madeline talk about her unborn baby, Elizabeth felt a little bit of excitement hoping that would be her soon enough. She and Thomas both wanted it and she hoped it would work for them.

"Is the tour still going ahead tomorrow, Thomas?" Molly asked directing the attention to the Irish man at the end of the table.

Upper class people usually got a tour of the important parts of ships, or tours of new hotels and attractions when they visit them. This was no different.

"Yes. Noon, I think it's scheduled for. I'm taking you, the Astor's and Elizabeth tomorrow. I've got the company of Ruth, Cal and Rose the day after," Thomas said taking a sip of his champagne making the table laugh.

"Well aren't you lucky then," Madeline laughed as  the rest of the table joined her again. Everyone knew it wasn't Rose they were talking about. They were talking about her mother and Cal.

Looking around the room, Elizabeth frowned watching Rose rush away from the table. She hoped Cal or her mother hadn't said something vulgar.

Taking her husbands pocket watch she checked the time. Making mental note of it. She brushed him off when he looked at her strangely. Leaning in to kiss his cheek before resuming conversation.

****

Twenty five minutes later she saw someone speaking to the table before Cal and Archibald Gracie stand and rush out of the room in the direction Rose went. Standing up suddenly, Elizabeth excused herself before quickly walking away.