Chapter Twelve

"Tell us of the accommodations in steerage, Mr. Dawson. I hear they're quite good on this ship," Ruth said smirking at the boy knowing nobody else bar Thomas and Elizabeth knew he was third class.

"The best I've seen, m'am. Hardly any rats," Jack replied. They laughed but he was aware of the stares he was suddenly caught under.

"Mr. Dawson is joining us from third class. He was of some assistance to my fiancee last night," Cal said. Pressing the situation further only making it worse.

"And where exactly do you live, Mr. Dawson?" Ruth asked menacingly. She could only revel in Jack's pain. She was hoping he felt embarrassed even if he wasn't showing it.

"Well, right now my address is the RMS Titanic. After that, I'm on God's good humour," Jack said calmly. He wouldn't give in. He knew exactly what they wanted.

"You find that sort of ruthless existence appealing, do you?" She asked again. Ruth wouldn't be happy unless she was tearing someone apart

Molly withered the other woman with a stare while Elizabeth clenched her fist under the table. Ruth was a horrid woman and how anyone could like her was beyond anyone, at this tables, mind.

"Well... it's a big world, and I want to see it all before I go. My father was always talkin' about goin' to see the ocean. He died in the town he was born in, and never did see it. You can't wait around, because you never know what hand you're going to get dealt next. See, my folks died in a fire when I was fifteen, and I've been on the road since. Somethin' like that teaches you to take life as it comes at you. To make each day count," Jack said making Elizabeth and Rose smile encouragingly at him.

"Well said, Jack," Molly smiled resting her hand on the boys arm. She could see how nervous he was even if he was desperately trying to hide it.

"To making it count," Rose said, raising her glass as everyone else followed suit. All repeating the words.

"It turns out Mr. Dawson is quite the fine artist. He was kind enough to show me some of his work," Rose smiled looking around the table as she changed the subject.

She wanted to show Jack for how truly amazing he was. Not what her mother wanted to pick him apart to be.

"Rose and I differ on our opinion of fine art," Cal spat out. Elizabeth rolled her eyes at her comment before she turned her attention back to Jack.

"But I'm sure Jack is quite the fine artist. We shouldn't be so quick to judge, Hockley," Elizabeth snapped. Her eyes glared at the man who stared back trying to act as equally intimidating as she was.

"I actually caught a glimpse of you on the upper decks. Both of you and your little girl. I have a few drawings if you'd like to see them," Jack said catching Thomas and Elizabeth by surprise.

Elizabeth nodded her head. She'd love to see them. And from what Rose was saying Jack was quite talented.

"We'd love to. We could meet you tomorrow morning. Rose, you'll join us?" Elizabeth asked looking at her friend. She wanted her to be away from Cal as much as possible.

The girl nodded her head, her eyes drifting to Jack who was smiling proudly. He always got like this when he spoke about his work.

"Then it's settled. We'll meet you tomorrow morning to have a look at them," Thomas said smiling at the boy who nodded his head at the man.

***

"Are you joining them for a brandy?" Elizabeth asked turning to her husband when she recognised the shift in the table.

Thomas looked at her and shook his head. He wanted to be with his wife tonight. He didn't want to spend another night smoking and drinking.

Heather and Lucy would be staying in Molly's room tonight and Thomas wanted to take full advantage of them having the room to themselves.

"Well, we best be off. Thank you for your company. Jack, it was lovely meeting you and we will see you tomorrow," Thomas announced as he stood from the table. He held out his hand to help his wife up wanting to leave quickly.

Elizabeth smiled, giving a wave to everyone at the table. She winked at Rose before allowing her husband to lead her away.

"If we're going on a walk, I might change and just get an evening coat. It's quite cold out there," Elizabeth said, nodding at the man who had opened the door for them.

She was glad Thomas still wanted to spend time alone with her. She was sure he would've been pulled away for another thing about the ship.