Chapter Three

"Six years we've been married, and you still make me fall more in love every time I see you," Thomas mused watching his wife descend the grand staircase.

She smiled at him, taking his arm as she reached the end of the stairs. She still couldn't believe her luck when it came to her husband and she would count her lucky stars until she died.

"Good. The last thing I need is the man I love more than anything up and leaving me," she said as they moved towards the dining room.

This is the part she didn't particularly like. Meeting and greeting everyone. Pretending she actually cared about what they said.

"I would sooner die," he whispered kissing her cheek before they entered the room and the pleasantries took over.

***

Elizabeth fought to keep from rolling her eyes as she listened to the men around the table talk. Continuously turning to the women and explaining it in more simple detail. She hated being looked down on and it was ridiculous that the men assumed the women had no clue what they were talking about.

"Well, doesn't my niece just get more and more beautiful," a voice spoke from behind Elizabeth. The girl whipped around in her chair. Her face lighting up as she stood.

Margaret Brown laughed at her reaction before embracing her in a tight hug. It had been two years since they last saw each other but she was glad to have her around.

"Oh! Aunt Molly, you remember Thomas," Elizabeth spoke turning to her husband who was standing ready to greet the American.

She introduced Bruce Ismay, John Jacob Astor, Madeline Astor and Captain EJ Smith before they sat and resumed their dinner conversation.

"I trust you're attending the Hockley wedding then?" Madeline mused looking at the two women. Neither of them liked the man but as society would want it, they'll be there.

The two nodded solemnly as they fell into talk about the wedding. Elizabeth's eyes lifted to where she had seen Rose De Wittbuckater earlier. But only caught a glimpse of her heading out the door.

***

"I'm off to the smoking room for a bit. Will I walk you back?" Thomas asked looking to his wife as the men at the table stood and headed for the brandy and cigars.

Elizabeth pulled herself away from her conversation, looking up to her husband she shook her head. Standing for a second she held out her hand for the room keys. She wouldn't be staying late.

"No, no. I'll stay here. I'll meet you back at the room later," Elizabeth smiled kissing her husband before he moved to leave the room.

She turned to her aunt, Madeline and the Countess of Rothes who had joined their table. The dinner conversations were nothing short of boring but she felt slightly better with her Aunt there.

"Tell us about your little one. How is she doing?" the countess asked making Elizabeth smile. She enjoyed speaking about her daughter. She was one of her greatest achievements.

"Oh yes! I saw her in the paper just last week with Mr. Andrews at the Harland and Wolfe shipyard. She is just the sweetest," Madeline chimed in. She couldn't wait to have her own baby and raise him or her.

Elizabeth smiled telling them about Heather and how at the age of five she now thinks she can go everywhere her parents go. She was always interested in her fathers work and would always sit in his study with him for hours on end rather than playing with her toys. The group could only laugh at some of the stories she was telling.

Glancing at the clock on the wall nearby she sighed seeing how early it still was. It wasn't deemed acceptable to leave just yet.

As the conversation moved, Elizabeth's eyes drifted to the Hockley table. Caladon Hockley was a horrid man. He never treated Rose right but it was almost written in stone that they'd be married. Her mother wouldn't stand for anything else.