April

To get from the long night of winter to the long day of summer, the length of the days between changes at an astounding rate. After passing the spring equinox back in March, the world seemed to be rushing head-long into summer, and planning for returning to the outside world filled the lengthening days.

Eric was astounded by the way his body adapted, needing less sleep as the days grew longer despite his progressing pregnancy. He'd wondered how people passed the long dark winters but realized they'd lived in a state of semi-hibernation through the darkest part of the year and it seemed they'd woken up to boundless energy with everything else in the wilderness with the return of spring.

Life seemed to be awakening inside of him as well. He thought he felt some odd flutters at the end of March, but wasn't sure if it was the baby. Now, there was no doubt. It hiccuped and kicked and rolled and whenever he laid down to rest seemed to dance in protest. He kept trying to get Paul to feel, but it was only on the inside that he could feel the movement. Paul would kiss his forehead and assure his lover that he'd keep trying. Every step of development would come in its own time.

As they made their plans not just for their outing but for returning, Eric asked Paul about the possibility of a greenhouse. There were obvious challenges, but Eric pointed out that they could grow vegetables in space so there had to be technology that could be applied. This resulted in a great deal of internet research and the design of a hydroponic system in a new lean-to building that could be easily assembled by the two of them and attached to the south side of the cabin. Hydroponics because soil not locked in permafrost was as scarce as other gardening resources.

Paul suggested they might keep chickens as well if Eric wanted to try. They could use the stove in the barn a little more to keep it warmer if they planned for it, and the fresh eggs would be more appealing than powdered. It seemed like too much trouble for himself alone, but for the three of them...; many things seemed more worthwhile to Paul when he thought about the three of them.

The return truck was reserved early in their planning process. That had to be scheduled well in advance. It also gave them an idea of how much could be ordered. The greenhouse and chicken supplies were not insignificant. Paul tripled his usual order of staples. He also set about chopping firewood like a mad man. This activity normally filled his long slow summer days but he wouldn't be there during the summer.

As fun as it was to fill online shopping carts planning to place orders on their way out, Eric became a little concerned about the money being spent.

"I told you I inherited a sum of my own from my mother, right?" Paul tried to reassure him.

"Yes, but inherited money doesn't last forever," Eric pointed out.

"It does if you're good at investing," Paul countered and showed Eric his online portfolio to ease his worries.

"The fuck‽" Eric exclaimed at all the zeros.

Paul shrugged. "My mother's family was always good at investing and so I became curious and learned everything I could. And I was educated well despite my step-mother's hatred for me. I didn't see my mother's family much but I remember my grandfather telling me that wealthy people didn't need to show it. True wealth is having enough to be free and being happy with what you have. Anything more is best kept quietly for added security. Showing it off invites strife."

"My father didn't even know how much was left to me through my mother. It was quite a bit to begin with and having few expenses I've managed to double it once already. Don't hesitate to order anything you think we might want. Better to have it and not end up using it than to be stuck without it when we need it. UPS and FedEx don't deliver out here."