June

There was so much to do when they returned to civilization, Eric was grateful they'd made a prioritized list.

1. Pick up a rental car at the airport. Paul asked Eric to drive first since his license was expired and he was out of practice. He'd get back into the driver's seat soon before Eric gave birth and needed a chauffeur.

2. Drive-thru McDonald's. Eric's craving for fast food after seven months in the wilderness was monumental.

3. Settle into the Airbnb they'd reserved a short walk away from campus.

4. Drive Paul over to pick up mail from the mailbox service center nearby. Eric waits in the car.

5. Return home to rip open packages searching for the maternity pants Eric ordered ahead that were not made of furry sea creature.

6. Set up Paul's new notebook computer, also ordered ahead along with new cell phones for both of them.

7. Check up on their surveillance.

8. Walk over to the campus together to check Paul in for the summer semester and try dinner at the cafeteria.

9. Get a good night's sleep because the next morning is...

10. Visit the obstetrician who will send Eric out for blood tests, ultrasound, a pre-birth tour and admission paperwork session at the hospital, and back again for a group childbirth class in the evening.

11. The next day, buy wedding rings and nice clothes.

12. Get married at the courthouse.

13. Fancy dinner to celebrate.

Somewhere in the middle of their planned day for medical appointments, Paul's step-mother arrived. She chartered a private jet and brought a contingent of 4 bodyguards along to beat down the door of the asshole's family vacation home, forcibly removing her son from his mate. Separating mates was a serious thing. The police were called.

While a contingent of officers was en route to the scene, Paul escorted Eric into the police station to present their evidence and his testimony. The detective who interviewed them contacted his fellows at the scene to give them further instructions. The domestic disturbance was the excuse they needed to enter the home, and Eric described for them exactly where they would find evidence of the family's perverse hobby.

The younger son was not as savvy as his parents probably would have been about keeping the police from taking a closer look, but they hadn't arrived yet. He was all alone, anxious after being separated from his mate, and then arrested for conspiracy to commit murder, among other charges. This opened the house up to closer scrutiny and Paul was able to point them to a secret room he'd seen the son enter once during his surveillance. The fact of their surveillance they kept to themselves since it was inadmissible. Paul said Eric told him about seeing the dad use the secret entrance.

There was no video coverage inside the room because the security company didn't know it existed. Paul and Eric were gambling that it would contain the rest of the evidence they needed. Videos from all their subjects. Hair they'd clipped and saved as souvenirs of their victims. Photos of the helicopter drops in the wilderness the pilot sent as proof that he'd done his job. It was better than they'd hoped.

The rest of the family was already on their way up with another young man. They were arrested at the airport and he was detached from them and informed of his close call.

It was all accomplished rather quickly. The helicopter pilot was arrested as soon as he returned to town as well, and they didn't need to bargain a reduced punishment for his testimony. The younger son had already turned on his family.