6

It was the next week when the call came in. Everyone answered their phone-except Maria. “Where’s the other kid?” Morgan asks when everyone steps in the conference room and Maria is the only one missing.

“Prentiss, you live with her, where is she?” Hotch asks and Emily shrugs, “Every once in a while, she can’t sleep. She leaves a note that she’s leaving, but doesn’t say where she’s going. I’ve always respected that,” Emily admits and everyone’s brow furrows.

“We need her on this case, it’s an entire office of boxes of unsolved cases that have been linked through a storage unit. All hands on deck, her and Reid are the fastest readers. If she doesn’t call by 8:30, we leave without her at nine,” Hotch grumbles and everyone looks at Emily, “Where the hell is your daughter?” Morgan asks and Emily shrugs.

“You said she’s a swimmer, if she’s stressed from not sleeping, where would she go to swim?” Reid asks and the mom’s eyes widen, “I know three places. The pool in out apartment complex, a lake about an hour away, and theres this beach access she found a few years ago, it’s connected to an abandoned house-”

“I know which one you’re talking about, I used to go to when I first started working here,” Reid hums and Emily nods, “You drive there and see if you can find her, I’ll check the apartment, Garcia can try to get through her firewalls and see if she went to the lake,” Emily says and Morgan smirks at Reid.

“C’mon, kid, I’ll drive you,”

“You like her,” Morgan says as Reid gives him directions to the abandoned house. The sun was just starting to rise. “She is quite the personality,” Reid says, avoiding the underlying meaning and hiding his smirk at Morgans huff. “Just kiss her, damnit,” 

“I will not! What if she doesn’t return my feelings?” Reid says and curses himself when Morgan's next words are, “So you admit it!” The younger glares as the car pulls in. “Hey Reid, trust me, she does,” 

Reid shakes his head and quickly removes his shoes and socks before jumping out of the car, instantly noticing Maria’s car parked behind the shambles of a bush and garage door. “Call and let them know we found her,” Reid says and walks around, slightly blushing when he sees Marias bare legs going under the water.

“Maria!” He yells and the girls head instantly pops out of the water and when she sees Reid, her expression grows worried. She rushes out of the water and Spencer meets her at the shoreline. “What’s wro-” She begins, but Spencer interrupts, “You didn’t answer your phone, Hotch gave us until 8:30 to find you or we were leaving without you,”

He was having issues avoiding staring at the abundance of bracelets that were at her sides, drawing attention to the tattoos and belly button ring. “Mom spouted off places I swim?” Maria asks and Spencer shrugs, “After I asked where you like to swim when you’re stressed. She mentioned you left at two this morning,”

Maria rolls her eyes, “It happens sometimes. Sleep isn’t always easy for a busy mind, especially with PTSD-which I know you have as well,” Maria says and thats when she cracked, “We’re going on a date when we get back from this case,” She declares, spinning around to grab her towel while Spencer stutters. “I know you like me and I like you, we’re going on a date,” With that, she stands on her tiptoes and pecks his lips.

“I think Morgan drove away, so you’re riding with me,” Spencer simply nods and climbs into the passenger. “I can say confidently that I do have near extreme feelings for you, but you honestly scare me a little,” Spencer admits and Maria shrugs, “That’s because working together has given you time to develop feelings rather than flash flood of sexual tension when a movie star sips your drink,”

When Reid spins to ask her, she nods, “Morgan told me. I believe I’ve heard you’re entire love life-mom thinks I’m oblivious to not only your’s, but my own feelings, but everyone else… Wanna bet that they placed bets?”

Reid smirks at the girl and nods with a chuckle, “You’re on,”

“I’m here!” Maria yells when she walks onto the floor with Reid. She had only put on low rise felt sweats and was still working her cropped t-shirt over it. “You abandoned me,” Reid states at Morgan and when the elder raises a questioning brow, Spencer grins and nods, “My man,”

“Why didn’t you answer your phone?” Hotch grumbles and Maria bites back her smile, “Did you check your email, yet?” She asks and the chief steps into his office, Maria right behind him. After a few clicks, he reads, “Left my phone on my desk earlier, but going out. Will be in at 8:15,”

“I check my boxes,” Maria pouts and Hotch shakes his head, “I will check my email from now on,” He hums and when Maria looks out his window to see everyone staring up expectantly, Hotch nods at her, “Wheels up in ten,”

When they all got on, Maria and Reid sat next to each other-Maria now in black slacks and a wide neck, long sleeve, purple tshirt- staring at everyone. “Hey, when did you guys make the bet?” Maria asks and everyone goes still.

“What bet?” JJ asks and Maria gasps, “You guys didn’t let JJ in on it? Reid, that means I already beat you for part two,” Maria states and Reid grumbles, pulling out his wallet while eyebrows raise. “When?” She asks again and Rossi chuckles, “When you dislocated your shoulder,” The old man admits and Maria cheers, “I win!” She exclaims and Reid hands her a fifty dollar bill and a twenty.

“I really thought it was when we were fake married,” He grumbles, thinking back to the chopsticks. “Wait, when did you guys go on a date?” Garcia asks, Morgan had called her in. “We haven’t. We will be though, when we get back,” Reid states and Hotch grins, “I win,” He chuckles and the other three competetors groan. 

“How did you know Hotch would guess right?” Reid asks and Maria grins, “Same reason you chose JJ. They’ve been in successful relationships before and have parent senses. JJ just wouldn’t have been able to stay hush hush about the bet, so she was never informed,” Maria admits before a random memory comes to mind.

“What?” Emily asks when her daughter bursts out laughing. “Was nobody going to tell us we’ve been married this past week?” She asks, holding up her left hand while Reid blushes at his where he still hadn’t taken off her fidget ring.

“Cute, but Reid, we’re having a conversation soon, alright?” Emily says and everyone turns away while Reid shrinks down into his seat. The two eventually fall sleep, their heads resting on the others. “I’ll have to have the conversation with them later,” Hotch hums, getting ready for the landing. “And I’ll have to have the other one,”