Chapter 14

I'll Take Care of You 

Central, Amestris [You and Ed are still 14]

Ed's POV 

Every time I looked at her, I had to look away. Each time I entered her room, and she looked at me with her beautiful, [e/c] eyes, wide and hopeful, I recoiled. And when I see her stump of a leg, I just couldn't do it. It reminded me of myself, and that wasn't something I wanted to see. I couldn't see the same pain being inflicted on another.

But, at the same time, I also can't help but want to be by her side. I want to be there for her. It was more than a want. I yearned to make things happier for her. So much, that one day, I voiced it aloud as well. "I'll take care of you. You know that, don't you?"

[y/n]'s already wide eyes widen even more, and I swear, some tears collect at the bottom. But, she was smiling as well. "Wonderful," she murmurs, voice just barely audible. Smaller than a whisper, but more than nothing. 

So, for the next few weeks, I spent all my time doing whatever she asked me to. The requests could get a little crazy, but I made sure that I did my best to fulfill them for her. I owed her that much, in the very, very least.

"Here," I panted, handing her the bottle of water she requested from a neighboring store. It was strange, really, that she wouldn't accept the hospital water. But, I also thought it was sort of cute as well. I was sure she'd get it herself if she could, anyways. "Would you like me to help you with it?" She nods her head tightly. Today she has been experiencing some intense fevers and temperatures. It was a bit of a shock effect from losing a part of the body.

I carefully unscrew the lid, and come close enough to her face to see every peice of her perfection up close. A kind face, although in pain, staring back at me. Gently, I tip the water into her delicate little mouth and smile slightly. It was as if she were a helpless little child once more. One that I would always protect, forever.

Another day, she'd asked me for an automail. I called Winry, asking her what she thought she could do for [y/n]. Winry sounded annoyed over the phone when she replied, which confused me. It wasn't like I was calling because my automail was broken or anything, so why'd she sound like her time of the month rolled around? Eh. Maybe she's just tired. 

"Ugh. I'm busy, but I guess I can whip up a leg for her," she grumbles. "How'd she lose her leg, anyways? It's so weird."
I twirl the phone cord around my cold metal fingers. "It's sort of a long story. She had a run in with someone who isn't a very nice person around here. He likes to hurt people."

"Uh, okay then," Winry says sharply. "I guess I can start now. Bring her to Resembool soon. Like a week from today. And I'll have the leg ready." Why does she sound so dang mean? I sigh. It was sort of hurting my feelings... *le sniff* When I hang up the phone, I make my way back to [y/n]'s room.

"Okay," I smile, with a light chuckle in my voice as I sit on the side of [y/n]'s bed. "Any last requests for your loyal servant?"
[a/n: VOCALOID REFERENNNNNNNNNCE!!! Lol sorry, I'm done now... XD]

"I-I want..." she whispers, her long lashes casting gorgeous shadows on her flushed cheeks. "I want you to... to stay with me... forever."

My heart melts completely at the sound of that. Me? She wanted me to stay forever? I've never thought that someone out there wanted me still. I never thought that after everything I've done, someone out there would ask me to stay. I scooted in the hospital bed with her, laying on my side so that she could snuggle up to me. She buries her face in my chest muscles, and starts to drift of. I feel tears in my eyes. Why? 

Why, of all times, do I want to cry now?
Sentimentality?
Confusion?
All of it rolled into one?

It could only mean one thing. I am in love with [y/n], my best friend for the longest time I could remember. And I was glad to be so.

*** 

In a week's time, Al, [y/n] and I had caught a train to Resembool. I had to admit, I was happy that Alphonse was okay with putting our goals on hold while I was wanting to be here for [y/n]. He understood what sort of situation I was in, and was forgiving about it, too.

We got to Winry's house in the late afternoon. Winry barked at Alphonse to take [y/n] up to the patient's room, claiming that her client would need rest before the operation occured. I cringe at the sound of operation. That was some of the worst pain I'd experienced before with it. I didn't want [y/n] to hurt that way.

"Can you make it so the surgery doesn't hurt so much?" I beg Winry pathetically. "I don't want her to hurt as much as I-"
Winry suddenly drops the tool she was holding with a loud clatter, eyes sheilded by her blonde bangs. She makes her way over to me. I didn't know what I expected. A slap? A lecture? Both? I didn't get either.

She came behind me, and began to rub my shoulders. "Uh, Winry...? What're you doing?" I ask uneasily, getting sort of nervous. Winry giggles, sounding so unlike herself. Now I was really scared....

"Your shoulders are so tense," she whispers in my ears, making my cheeks turn red. "You really should be much more careful, Eddie." Eddie? WHAT THE CRAP I AM BLUSHING WHY I DONT LIKE THIS I MEAN WHHHHAT?!

"Winry, stop," I mutter, pulling away from her. Winry's eyes suddenly snap out of whatever trance they were in, and fill with tears. Ugh. She's crying. This is getting really uncomfortable for me, and I was still blushing by the feelings of heat on my face.

"Why can't you love me like you love her?!" she screams, suddenly catching me off guard. I stare at her blankly. Then, I sigh. I realized it at last. She loves me. But I love another. Why does it have to be me in the middle of this?

"Winry, look." It wasn't me speaking anymore. It was my heart. "I do care for you. You're like my sister. That's the only love I've ever felt for you, though." I take a deep, shaking breath. "[y/n]... she's the only girl I've ever really loved. Can't you just give this one thing to me? The allowance to love who I want, without having to worry about the safety of both her and myself?"

Winry is silent for the longest of times. Then, she hugs me. Apologizing over and over. She pulls back, wiping her tears. "Sorry. I guess it really is hard to be rejected," she smiles, watery and wet. "Okay, Edward. I'm sorry. And I will tell [y/n] I'm sorry too. I hope you two are..." her voice catches. "Really happy together. Honestly."

"Thanks, Winry. So much."