Chapter 33: The Scoreboard

Annabeth POV:

"Great job, Hermione!"

"You killed it Hermione!"

"You're gonna win it for Hogwarts, Hermione!"

"We always knew you could do it, Hermione!"

I rolled my eyes and dug my head deeper into my study book, trying my best to hide my expression. I made sure not to look at Hermione, who I'm sure would burst out laughing as soon as she caught my eyes. Pathetic, was all I could think - not Hermione, of course, but her fans. Her friends who were never really her friends, but the ones that sucked up to her now that she was winning the Golden Competition. Trust me when I say I am not jealous, just angry that the same people that had shunned Hermione for so many years now idolized her and acted as if they were best friends. 

Even Ron had congratulated her as he walked by. Rumour had it that he was bragging about the fact that he used to date the "Hogwarts Champion". 

We left the Great Hall and made our way to the Golden Suite, that had since reopened after the end of the fifth trial. The room was busy when we entered.

"Can you believe them?" Hermione laughed. "Lavender Brown attempted to hug me. Ha! She's spent most her life trying to not look at me, now she wants a hug. Even Pansy Parkinson gave me a high-five."

We passed Draco, who turned up his nose as we mentioned Pansy's name. 

"What's wrong, Harry? Jealous?" Ginny teased as we sat down next to her and Harry. "Not the school champion anymore?"

"What? No, of course not... I'm proud!" Harry muttered. 

We all looked over at the giant notice board that had appeared in the room immediately after the trial. It took up the entirety of the right wall, and the letters and numbers glowed a warm gold. 

THE GOLDEN COMPETITION SCOREBOARD:

1. HERMIONE GRANGER (Y7) - HOGWARTS . . . 13

2. HARRY POTTER (Y7) - HOGWARTS . . . 11

3. ADRIAN YAHONTOV  (Y7) - DURMSTRANG . . . 11

4. DRACO MALFOY (Y7) - HOGWARTS . . . 10

5. FLEUR DELACOUR (Y7) - BEAUXBATONS . . . 10

6. GINNY WEASLEY (Y6) - HOGWARTS . . . 9

7. INES LEROY (Y6) - BEAUXBATONS . . . 9

8. VIKTOR KRUM (Y7) - DURMSTRANG . . . 1

9. ANNABETH CHASE (Y7) - GOODE . . . -87

10. HAZEL LEVESQUE (Y4) - GOODE . . . -88

11. NICO DI ANGELO (Y5) - GOODE . . . -89

12. JASON GRACE (Y6) - GOODE . . . -89

13. PERCY JACKSON (Y7) - GOODE . . . -90

I thought back to the trial, remembering how I had watched Igor attempt to save the centaur. Like Krum, Igor had made many mistakes - the worst being dipping his hand in the centaur blood - but unlike Krum, Igor had failed to save the centaur in the end. He had failed the trial and hadn't returned to the Golden Suite. There were rumours going around that Krum had cheated and was told what to do before his trial (rumours which I believed, seeing as when I asked him how he had known to use a bezoar he replied "vat is a bezurrr?"). 

"I'm jealous," Nico admitted. "That was some serious skill out there, Hermione - you killed the trial... not the centaur, you actually saved the centaur really well... um, you just did great."