Chapter 39: The Yule Ball, But With a Twist

Percy POV:

Two weeks with no competition. Two weeks of revising, of Christmas carols, of cuddling Annabeth by the fireplace, of double-dates with Hermione and Draco, of quidditch practice in the freezing snow. I'm a New Yorker, born and raised, but even the magic Scottish snow was impressive to me. 

And finally the Yule Ball, an event which I was surprisingly excited for. I spent the week before in Hogsmeade with Annabeth, where we separated for half an hour to buy our respective outfits for the Ball. And, finally standing in front of the mirror with Jason and Nico either side of me, dressed up in the most expensive clothes I owned, I felt nervous.

"You look nice bro!" I checked out Jason in the mirror. He wore a dashing black suit, white shirt and black tie - everything from his shoes to his glasses had been polished to perfection. "The black really brings out the colour of your eyes!"

"Thanks, bro!" Jason nodded at me appreciatively. "That navy is working wonders for you, and that tight fit-"

"-Guys, I'm supposed to be the gay one," Nico huffed, making Jason and I laugh. "Okay, how do I look?"

I stared at Nico's black suit, shirt and red tie, and gave him a reassuring smile. "Will's gonna fall in love with you all over again, dude"

Nico blushed. "Oh, fuck off," he grumbled, but he checked his reflection again and smiled to himself. 

"Ladies, how do we look?" Draco and Harry strutted into the room, with Harry sporting a similar black suit to Jason's and Draco wearing a striking white suit. 

"Hot!" Nico admitted, staring mostly at Draco - blondes were Nico's type, irritatingly. 

"Okay, guys, you've got to hurry up!" Hazel marched into the room, startling all of us. Her dress matched the colour of her golden eyes. I stared at her proudly; I saw Hazel as a little sister to me, and I was proud at how pretty she was. "We've got to be the first down there so come on! Are you all ready?"

We nodded, and just as I realized what she was about to do I cried "Hazel no!", but she had already clicked her fingers. We disapparated out of the room and appeared right in front of the doors to the Great Hall, which were lined with holly and tinsel. I keeled over, attempting not to throw up.

"You know I don't like disapparating," I groaned. 

"Oh, grow up," Hazel laughed. "It was the only way to get you here on time."

"We're the first here!" I motioned around at the empty hallway, but my arms fell to my side when I noticed Annabeth walking down the stairs. When I tell you she made my heart stop, I mean it literally. I couldn't breathe, she took my breath away. She was stunning, in her navy blue gown that sparkled like the night sky, and her blonde wavy hair held up in a loose bun, and the gleam of her smooth skin exposed at the neck and collar bone. But I saw nothing but her eyes, and the curve of her painted lips as they smiled at me. She looked like a princess.

"Annabe-"

"-Close your mouth, why are you staring at me like that?" She asked sternly as she approached. I fell out of my trance and grinned broadly. 

"You look-"

"-Beautiful? Elegant? I know..."

"Hot! Like, you're fucking hot," I said, a little too loudly. She laughed and pulled me aside so that no one else could hear us. 

"Shhhh, keep your voice down!" She chuckled. I only now realized that she hadn't been alone as she walked down those steps - the other girls had joined her, along with Frank, Will, Piper, a sixth-year boy I didn't know and Fleur.