broken japanese

the girl didn't expect for things to go this wrong in such a short amount of time. thinking back, she should've picked up the japanese book she saw at the bookstore months prior to this so that she could've avoided this situation completely.

"can you guys look for wallet?" she asked the man behind the counter in english, simplifying it in hopes of them understanding, but it only caused the look on their faces to grow even more confused.

it was only her second day here in osaka but how did she already manage to lose her wallet? now any form of indentification she had was now lost along with a couple hundred yen. and the fact that she could barely form a single sentence in japanese didn't make the situation any better.

"where's misa?" the man behind the desk asked the rest of his colleagues. "she's the only one who can speak decent english here."

"it's her off day today."

"i guess this is where google translate comes in to play..."

y/n watched as the man began typing things on his phone before holding it up to the girl's face.

do you remember where you last had it?

she took out her phone and pulled up the translator app that she had installed a while back, just in case she found herself in a situation where she would need it (like now), and punched in a few words.

i think that i was around a gym? i was on my morning run and when i went to go buy a drink i realized it fell out of my pocket.

the man turned to look at his colleague. "what kind of person goes on a run with their wallet?"

y/n could only stand and listen to the gibberish they were speaking, oblivious the fact that they were talking about her as she was standing right there. not that she cared anyways, all she had in her mind was her missing wallet.

the person who was helping diverted his attention back onto the damsel in distress.

was your ID in the wallet?

y/n nodded.

can you write your name and number right here? we've had a lot of people come in with the same situation as you and almost 90% of the time someone ends up finding their wallet and then they give it to us to give to the person it belongs to.

the woman felt a wave of relief wash over her as she scribbled down her name and number on the tiny notepad they handed her. wait, did he just say 90%?

what about the other 10%?

the desk worker laughed.

well, let's hope you're not apart of the 10%.

y/n nervously laughed along, handing back the man the pen they had lent her as well as her contact information.

"thank you very much." she said in japanese as it was the only thing she knew how to say correctly.

she walked out of the police station, a sigh escaping her lips as soon as the automatic doors behind her closed. but hey look on the bright side, at least she didn't lose her credit card.

having no motivation left inside of her to complete her run, y/n decided it would be best to call it a day (or morning) and head back to her apartment.

-

"i'm heading out now!"

"see ya 'tsumu!"

"bye."

"bye tsum-tsum!"

atsumu slipped off his knee pads and court shoes, throwing them into the black duffel bag which was gifted to him for christmas from his now ex girlfriend. something about being too absorbed in volleyball? he couldn't remember in full detail exactly what happened that day, but all he knew was that it was a mutual agreement between the two. they were still good friends and kanae, his ex, ended up getting together with her old high school friend.

after changing into a pair of slides, he slung the bag over his shoulder and bid his teammates one last goodbye before exiting the gym. as the pro-athlete was walking towards his car, he couldn't help but notice the black wallet with a cute apeach keychain attatched to it laying on the concrete.

he stared at it for a moment, contemplating whether he should pick it up and return it to the police station or leave it there. so he didn't what any other person would do and...

"not my problem." the setter said before walking off.

but of course, the little voice in the back of his head (that awfully sounded a lot like his twin brother osamu) had some things to say.

" 'ya know, if you keep the 'not my problem' mentality forever, yer gonna miss out on being a good person 'tsumu."

now, taking his younger brother's words of wisdom into consideration, the man decided to turn back around and pick up the wallet instead. he thought about it: if he were the one who lost his wallet and someone found it, he'd want them to return it to the police station as well.

as atsumu held the wallet in his hand, he was itching to sneak a peak at who this dainty little wallet belonged to, being the curious person he was. i mean, he was the one who found it so the least he could do was check and see who the owner was in return for doing such a good deed.

a foreigner? he thought looking down at the strange looking ID.

"l/n y/n huh..."

and this is when atsumu thought that maybe being a nice person wasn't so bad after all.

"well i'll be damned. she's kind of cute."