22

"Holland!" The crashing sound of keys colliding with their tile entryway floors reverberated through the house.

"In the living room." Came her soft reply.

"How are you? Where's Chloe?" He asked as soon as she was in his sight line.

"I'm fine. Nothing to write home about yet, just some stronger cramping but it's more consistent, and they seem to be getting a bit stronger."

"Do you need anything right now?" He asked her, his protective instincts and desire to take care of her kicking in.

"Some water would be great." She told him, shifting slightly on the couch cushions where she was laid to try and make herself more comfortable.

"I can handle water." He smiled, vanishing from the room to fetch it as he called out over his shoulder "and where was Chloe?"

"Lexi picked her up for the gym a few hours ago. I had her take the overnight bag just in case and if things keep progressing Lexi will make sure she's taken care of until the baby arrives."

"Have you called Natalie?" He asked stepping back into the living room, the glass of water she had requested in his hands.

"Not yet. Come here." She said with outstretched arms as she sat up slightly and he slid behind her on the couch. He kissed her shoulder as his arm reached across her to run across her stomach.

"Take it easy on your mum, little one. We can't wait to meet you." He said quietly.

"Duke still with Roy?" Calum asked after a moment as it dawned on him that his furry friend hadn't greeted him at the door like usual. It was Tuesday however, which meant puppy play day with Uncle Roy. The tradition had been established long ago when Roy had told him how much he missed the pup being around when he was no longer Calum's roommate.

"Yeah, I called him and told him I thought I was going into labor and he said he'd keep Duke until we were ready for him."

"Always two steps ahead of me." Calum smiled and pulled her closer to him.

She grimaced and her hands moved to her stomach, her face scrunched as she breathed through a contraction and Calum fingers brushed gently up and down her arm.

Calum would never say it out loud but he was scared, terrified really. He had wanted to be a dad for so long, and he had become one to Chloe, but this was different and watching Holland amid her pain and discomfort was torture for him, especially knowing there was little he could do to help her. He finally felt useful when Holland allowed him to call the midwife as the clock on the wall ticked closer to midnight.

"What'd she say?"

"She's on the way. Said she thought she would hear from us last week, something about a full moon."

"Yeah, there's some phenomenon where people go into labor a lot on full moon's."

"Really?" Calum asked.

She nodded and settled against him as he rejoined her on the couch where she had taken up residence. Criminal Minds played in the background and she focused on the storyline in between contractions, anything to distract herself.

Calum tried to be attentive, letting her hold his hand and pressing kisses against her forehead, doing his best to conceal his worries. He still wasn't completely comfortable with her deciding to have the baby at home. He would have felt much safer at a hospital, surrounded by medical professionals, but that hadn't been his choice to make and he supported her in her decisions. Even if he didn't quite completely understand them.