23

"Your first sunrise, bubba." Calum murmured to the tiny infant in his arms as he peered into the distance from his small back porch. The sky was a myriad of colors like an incredible painting had filled the heavens to announced Knox's birth.

He ran his finger across the little boy's cheek. He'd known babies were small but at five pounds eight ounces, Knox was surprisingly so. He was healthy however and to Calum, that was all that mattered.

Natalie had only left a few minutes before, after
confirming that both Holland and Knox were healthy and Holls had drifted to sleep. Calum knew she was exhausted, they'd been up all day and night and her body had been through hell. He was used to running on little sleep and he didn't mind the opportunity to spend some time bonding with his new son.

He thought about calling his parents to tell them the news but it was after one in the morning in Sydney and he felt that Holland would probably want to be awake for that anyways.

Knox shifted in his arms, blinking and searching blindly for something before resettling against Calum's chest.

Cal took one last look around his backyard and re-entered the house. The nursery was located just across the hall from Chloe's room and next to the master bedroom. He sank into the rocker and gently moved back and forth until Knox's eyes began to droop.

He hummed softly and studied the boy's tiny face trying to distinguish which of his features Knox had gotten and which of Holland's. Babies always looked the same to him but in Knox's face he could see the shape of Holland's nose and on top of his head, Calum's own dark black hair.

Morning faded into day and he heard Holland begin to stir in their room just as Knox began to cry. Calum stood and walked towards their master, smiling at the sight of Holland sitting up in their bed.

"Think someone's hungry." He whispered as he continued to try and soothe the baby he held in his arms.

"Come here, bubba." Holland said, her arms extended as Cal handed Knox to her and she settled him against her chest.

"How long did I sleep for?" She asked with yawn once she got Knox settled and feeding.

"Not long, few hours. It's nearly ten now."

"You could've woke me up."

"You needed to sleep and we were fine. Little man slept for the most part too. I took him on a tour of the house and we watched the sunrise." Calum said with a smile and Holland couldn't help but return it.

"He's a handsome boy isn't he? Just like his dada."

Calum chuckled and threw his arm across her shoulder. Leaning down to kiss her forehead.

"Feels a bit surreal that he's here, yeah?" Calum asked after a few moments of silently staring at his son.

"A little." She was quiet for a minute, something unsaid hanging in silence before she spoke again. "I was scared it would be different."

Calum's eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"I was scared I'd love him differently than Chloe. Like having him would somehow lessen my love for her."

"Oh." Calum said softly. "And did it?"

"No." She said, confidently. "They're both our kids."