twenty nine

"do you get butterflies?"

donghyuck softly asked.

they were laying beside each other on donghyuck's bed, staring at the ceiling. a thing they'd like to do ever since they became old enough to talk about real life problems. they made sure to always shut the lights and be as honest and raw as possible. a way to feel almost hidden in the darkness if you had to confess something, or tell a secret.

"b-butterflies?" dae stuttered.

"yeah. like the knots in your stomach when he's around. or the giddy feeling you get when he shows up."

she thought to herself.

"well yeah of course," she shrugged. "he just seems so perfect in every way. i could still laugh at him until my stomach hurt even if he said a simple joke. that's just the kind of admiration i have for him..."

donghyuck turned his head to face her. "mm..." he nodded.

"we just clicked the moment we met." she chuckled.

it went silent for a little bit.

"do you know what a friend crush is?" donghyuck was always the best at asking deep questions.

"hm? no. what is that?"

"like a crush, but completely platonic. it's like a crush in the sense that you always want to be near them, always want to hear what they have to say, stay up late thinking about them, find comfort in them. but not in a romantic way. just cause you love them so much. you admire them as a friend so much that you feel like you have a crush, but obviously don't."

"you mean you?" dae laughed.

"you're my friend crush, donghyuck." she looked at him and patted his head.

"well duh?" he annoyingly laughed. "you're mine too. but do you feel like that with the other guys?"

"mmm..." she took a pause to think. "yeah. i always want to be around them. i always feel better when i hang out with them. they're all so funny in their little ways and so genuine." she felt her eyes get teary. "because of them i fall asleep at night happy."

"ah... who's your favorite?" even though they were in the dark, dae could hear donghyuck smiling. "other than me of course. and mark." he secretly rolled his eyes.

"a favorite? how are you gonna make me choose?! i love them all equally." she argued.

"oh cmon, you have to have one person you like- almost had a crush on. or one you like talking to a little bit more than the others." donghyuck had now fully turned towards dae and rested his head up on his arm.

dae thought for a while, analyzing each boy in her head.

"no, really. i don't have a favorite. i like them all the same."

"ugh," he slouched back down on the bed. "how boring."

she laughed and shook her head.

"enough about me, what about you, hyuck? do you have anyone you're interested in?" dae raised an eyebrow.

"actually..."

dae gasped. she didn't actually think donghyuck was into anyone.

"hana?" donghyuck cackled.

"omg, shut up! i thought you were serious!" she pouted.

"hahhaha. no, the answer is no. i'm not really interested in anyone at the moment..."

no. it's not what you're thinking. it is not the cliché 'i like my best friend but she likes someone else scenario.' donghyuck genuinely didn't like anyone. he was very content with where his life was at.