Mae

Mae's POV

I look up from the kitchen sink as Pa comes in, stomping his work boots out on the mat.

"Pa." He grins up at me, the wrinkles on his forehead from the stress of the day melting away as he sees me.

He pulls me into his arms, dirtying up the front of my apron with his dusty work clothes. He shouldn't be out working, but he's stubborn as a bull mother says.

"My Mae. How was your day my beautiful daughter?" He surveys the kitchen behind me, seeing if dinner is on the table already, his mind already on food after a long day.

"It was good, Pa. Me and Ma tended to the garden this morning, our poor tomato bushes are being fried... Perhaps one of the ranch hands could make a small shade for our plants? Our garden would be much more fruitful without the sun beating down on it..."

Father ignores me. I can't tell if it's purposeful, or if he's just thinking. He nods after a minute, settling himself at the table.

He disrupts the set table, unfolding his napkin to go across his lap.

"I'll look into it, my daughter. We had to lay off another ranch hand today... Gerard... you've met him once or twice when he's come by the house to check up, or ask about something."

I remain silent for a moment, pausing as I pull out the chicken from the oven.

Pa is tired and hungry and I feel bad having made him wait for food even this long and it's only been a minute.

"Are things really bad, Papa?"

"No, of course not. We just made a large investment with the new cattle, so we have to make cuts elsewhere. Now, you know better than to ask about money and such.

"It's not something you need to concern yourself with, Mae. You be a beautiful, intelligent, obedient submissive and your dominant will provide."

I nod, bowing my head at his scolding. "I'm sorry, Papa," I apologize softly.

I should have known he wouldn't speak to me at all about money or the ranch, but I can't help but worry.

Papa is not in good health and with Ames and Angus gone, Ma and myself would have to carry everything which falls on Papa if something were to happen.

"Oh, Mae." Pa stands, his chair scratching against the old wooden floors. He lifts my chin and pecks my head. "Forgive me, daughter. I forget how seriously you take my scoldings. I just don't like you stressing, that's all. All is well."

"Yes, Papa." He smiles warmly and kisses my
head again, hobbling to sit down. "Papa, did you take your medicine this morning?"

Ma usually administers his morning pills, leaving me to nag at him to take his evening supplements and administer his injections as needed. Mama tried her hardest to take care of Papa, but she just can't handle it.

It's hard for her to watch as he slowly fades away, loosing weight and color despite our efforts. It's hard for me too, but I have to put on a brave face for Mama, as the impending loss of Papa is too hard for her to handle most days.

"She hid my work boots this morning, the woman. Wouldn't tell me where they were until I had taken all my pills... It would be a good thing to be a wife like that, Mae. Your mother is every bit as cunning as she is beautiful. She is a great asset to me, not just an ornament."

I nod my understanding and Pa relaxes, looking around the kitchen.

"Where is your Ma, Mae?"

I blush, looking away from him. I know very well the consequences for her not waiting at the door to greet him when he comes back from working on the ranch. I don't think I'll ever grow out of my discomfort of thinking about Pa disciplining Mama.