Ryan

Ryan's POV:

"Does your wife know you're out here?" I question Mr. Mallory, chuckling as he pauses and turns towards me.

I'm not surprised to see him up and running, I'm just surprised his submissive isn't chasing him down. I suppose Mr. Mallory doesn't allow the same behavior I'm used to at home.

I can see Mother now, chasing Father down the driveway as he tries to sneak off to work on the weekend.

Mr. Mallory has very traditional ways and he has hardly any reason to change, being so isolated here on the ranch, nothing imposed on his ways.

Mr. Mallory smiles at me, his eyes twinkling in amusement. "The woman is going to chain me up in the house one of these days. She gets tired of chasing after this old man."

We laugh and he continues to shovel hay into the cart.

I offer to take the pitch fork from him and he sighs, handing it over to me, so I can finish the job.

"You should just take it easy. Ms. Mallory and Miss Mae worry sick about you. We can handle the ranch plenty. I've been working on breaking in that new mare, beautiful creature, still wild, but she was definitely a good investment. You have a good eye, Mr. Mallory."

Mr. Mallory chuckles, wiping the sweat from his brow.

"You know you're the only one to call Mae that?"

My brows furrow as I continue my work. "Miss Mae?" She is a submissive, but she is still a fine woman, one worthy of respect even if she wasn't my boss's daughter.

"The ranch hands just call her Mae."

I don't reply, simply nodding. His words are true, but I don't know why he brings this up.

Does he think I like Mae?

She's awful pretty and a real good type of woman, but she doesn't like me much. Mae doesn't like any of the ranch hands.

"I like that you know how to respect a woman. My ranch hands don't have half the type of head you have on your shoulders. I know you didn't get a degree in agriculture or grow up on a farm, but you're an damn good ranch foreman, Ryan."

I laugh at him, setting the pitchfork against the stable wall, letting it lean there while I wheel the cart outside to dispose of the soiled hay.

"Thank you, Mr. Mallory. I'm glad I have your confidence."

He nods curtly, kicking at the dust on the stable floor.

"...How many years have you been working here for me, Ryan?" His question is odd, but old people ask odd questions sometimes.

Everyone knows Mr. Mallory is towards the end of his days too, so I don't think much of his questioning.

"Not enough, Sir." Not enough indeed. This ranch has become my life, even when I was just a ranch hand, I lived for the life the ranch provided.

There is so much uncertainty for the future of the ranch though with Mr. Mallory reaching the ends of his days.

Mr. Mallory is the real traditional type, I can't see him giving up the ranch to his wife and daughter.
I know Mr. Mallory has a brother from the city. They are both real old, but at least the brother is alive and could take care of Molly and Mae.

I know Mae has a brother too, no one talks about Angus much, but from what I've heard it sounds like he isn't an option.

I secretly hope Mae gets the ranch.

I'm sure her lowlife brother will turn up really entitled like, probably turned into one of those snobby city folk. I'd love for nothing more than to watch his face if he were to find out Mr. Mallory left the ranch to Mae.