Pigs and Dogs

Mae's POV:

The sun beats down overhead, but I couldn't be happier. I close the garden gate behind me, locking it to keep critters out.

As much as I'd love to stay out here and tend to the plants more, it's high noon and I should start dinner.

I wipe the sweat from my brow, smearing dirt across my forehead as I look over my hard work.

I giggle softly and flap my hands to get the dirt off, wiping the rest of it on my apron. I shake out my dress, watching the dirt fly off.

Of course, some mud stains stay, so I'll have to scrub my dress tonight, but that's just life on the ranch.

Ma and Pa never scold me for my dresses being dirty unless it's my Sunday dress and oh may the good Lord have mercy if I ever get dirt on my Sunday dress.

I smile in pride at my beautiful garden. Mama will be proud to see it like this. She always brags to Papa about me getting her green thumb.

A strong hand wraps around my bicep and I jump, instantly trying to pull away.

"What are you doing, Mae? You should be inside. Quite far from the house, aren't you?"

"Let me go," I whimper out in protest, still trying to tug away from Liam. He knows I was gardening. I'm not even close to the stable or the fields.

"Talking back now too are we? I'm sure your Pa won't like that? I'm starting to think you like to get in trouble, Mae."

"I-I'm allowed to be in the garden."

"Well, you weren't in the garden were you? You were outside the garden."

"I was just heading home—"

"Funny, I didn't see your feet moving, Mae."

"Let me go. Sir, please," I try to dig my feet into the dirt to stop him from dragging me to Pa, but he is so much stronger than me, I just end up tripping myself.

"You're not supposed to be outside this week anyways, right? Sneaking out? You're quite the trouble maker too, huh?"

"Pa told me to tend to the garden. I was doing as he asked. You're keeping me from my chores, Pa won't be happy about that. I've done nothing wrong."

I stop pulling away from Liam, realizing I am not going to win this. I've never fought him before, but I'm so tired of being punished for something I didn't do.

Liam drags me into the stable, looking for Papa.

"Mae, Liam?"

"There you are, Mr. Mallory. Mae was running off again. I thought you might want to know."

"I was not! Papa!"

Pa holds up his hand to silence me. I shake with anger, hate filling me for Liam and all his lies.

"I told her to work in the garden. Is there a reason you're keeping her from her tasks?" Pa asks Liam, giving him a pointed look.

Liam seems surprised even though I had informed him before that Papa had given me permission to be in the garden.

"Oh... well, Mae was out by the field." I gasp indignantly, his lies so unbelievable. Liam has exaggerated before, but he is flat out lying now. "Petting the horses and such—"