Chapter 5: But what do I get in return?

2 months later

Sharon's pov:

It's been two months since Tracy's accident. It's still feels like it was yesterday. Slowly and steadily we are bringing our lives back on track. Well, except for two people.

Ray hasn't shown up at any gatherings except for classes and for the admin work of our dance academy. He is trying to live alone. His eating habits, his sleep everything has gone for a toss.

He doesn't pick calls, he doesn't cry, he doesn't get angry, he doesn't react. He only speaks when it is necessary.

One thing that has kept him alive is his dance. I have seen him sneaking into the rehearsal hall of the college at night to dance when I literally spied on him to make sure that he is alright. It was a relief to know that he vents out all his frustration in dance. At least it keeps him going and alive.

Steven on the other hand has also changed. His earlier calm and carefree self is gone. All he does is try to investigate about Tracy's accident. He has also developed a temper which he never had. Whenever he is with me he tries to smile but I know it's not genuine because it doesn't reach his eyes. I feel helpless as a girlfriend as I can't do anything to reduce his pain.

Our college life is about to come to an end. Just one term left and we'll be graduated.

I'll miss this college. The classrooms , the canteen , rehearsal hall. Good thing that we'll still be coming here every day for the setting up our dance academy. We have applied for affiliation and are expecting a positive response.

I am currently at Ray's house. I am making breakfast while he is gone for a jog. I am preparing omelette. As soon as I flip it in the pan, my phone starts ringing. It's Uncle Ethan.

"Hello?"

"Hi munchkins. How have you been?" He said.

"I am good. How about you?"

"I fine too Sharon."

"So my busy uncle finally got time for his niece. What's the catch?"

"I am sorry sugarplum. You know I have busy with my work...."

"It's fine . I was just kidding. No need to apologize. Now tell me what can do for you?"

"Sharon, your cousin is coming to New Jersey for work."

"What, really?" I squealed in excitement. She's is awesome and we had so many good memories together. "Please tell me she is going to be living with me?"

"Yes dear, she'll be living with you. I want you to watch over her. She hasn't lived without me for long. And you are the one person I trust the most when it comes to my daughter."

"Don't worry. She's my baby sister. I'll take care of her. When is she coming by the way?"

"Soon. Thank you Sharon."

"It's no problem Uncle Ethan. I love her very much and also I feel bored at home all the time. If she comes here I'll get company"

Then we discussed about family stuff and finally ended the call.

"Yaay, She's coming!!" I said jumping around the kitchen.

"Whose coming?" I heard a familiar voice. I turned to see my best friend.

"My cousin. She is coming to New Jersey. She'll be living in my house." I answered.

"Looks like it's some cousins reunion day today." He said.

I etched my eyebrows in confusion.

"Tyler. He's also coming to stay with me for a few weeks." He elaborated.