Fourth Year - The Yule Ball

HI! So I finally had an okay idea for fourth year! Thanks for the reads, I know it isn't really that much, but it's exciting to think someone's reading these :D. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've had lots of assignments and exams at school :( This story was inspired by a suggestion by @wassup-bitch, who I thank for the great idea. So enjoy!

Draco sat alone at a small table in the Great Hall. Around him were happily dancing couples in colorful dresses and shining smiles. The band was now playing a slow, romantic waltz, and everyone was swaying slowly. Draco, even with years of formal dance lessons, courtesy of his posh family, wasn't going to join in. There was only one person he wanted to dance with, but they weren't anywhere to be seen.

Pansy had left somewhat earlier to get drinks, but Draco assumed that she'd met a handsome Beauxbatons boy and had gone dancing with him. Draco was being uncharacteristically boring, he'd had a small serving of dinner, which wasn't as good as what he had a home, and then had found a quiet corner to sit in and sulk. He didn't blame Pansy for leaving.

Suddenly, he spotted the vivid red hair of what could only have been a Weasley, and he stood up craning his neck to see if the familiar untidy head accompanied it. He was in luck, over the other side of the glittering Great Hall sat Harry Potter and his freckled sidekick. Harry looked rather dashing in his bottle-green dress robes, much unlike Weasley, who was wearing some kind of burned, frilly, dress.

The two were sitting rather sulkily at one of the small dining tables, both frowning, their dates nowhere to be seen. Has Draco watched, red-head stood up, spoke to Harry quickly, then wandered off in the general direction of the drinks table.

Draco, realizing this could be his chance, gathered up his courage and navigated his way through the dancing couples to where Harry sat. Harry looked up when he approached, scowling when he saw who it was.

"What do you want Malfoy? I see your toad of a date as left you. Has she gone to spend time with someone less git-like?" Harry said bitterly, staring straight ahead at the swaying couples. He was obviously unhappy about his own lack of date.

"I wanted to..." What did Draco come over here for? What was he supposed to say? Hey so I'm gay and I like you, wanna go to Hogsmeade together? He mentally shook his head, this was Potter, his nemesis. He cleared his throat; Harry was giving him a weird look now, Draco must have been caught up in his thought longer than he thought.

"I wanted to congratulate you on the first task. You flew really well." Draco said, may as well try being nice.

Harry narrowed his eyes, "Really Malfoy? Since when do you congratulate me on anything?"

"Since...since the Slytherins decided the make a truce." This was completely bullocks, of course, the Slytherins would never do such a thing, "This competition is about growing friendships between different schools. If we don't have a civil friendship within our schoolhouses, how can we be expected to make friends outside of them?"

"Huh." Harry turned back in his seat, crossed his arms, and continued to glower at the passing couples. Draco sat down next to Harry, making sure he kept a respectable distance between them. He didn't want to look too intrusive. He decided to strike up conversation again, he wasn't going to back down. Also, he could see Pansy staring at them from across the room, looking annoyed. Her Beauxbatons date must have left her and Draco didn't really want to take his place again.

"So, any idea about the second task yet?" Draco said casually, resting his elbow on the table behind them. Harry turned to glare at Malfoy before returning his gaze to the dance floor.

"Does the Slytherin truce involve forced conversation between the two houses?" Harry asked bitterly, "Because I don't really want to talk to you right now, Malfoy. I'm busy"