Chapter 2 | Mary

Chapter 2 | Mary

Of all things to happen today, Clarice certainly didn't expect to get a disabled child in her class. Not that she minded of course. It's a shock, that's all.

After the boy, who introduced himself as Harry, sat down. The class quickly erupted with questions while she got a mild case of deja vú.

"Oh you're new here, aren't you? My name is Mary. Currently, my only friend in this life is Death."

Clarice quickly shook it off, she had a class to teach after all. Clapping her hands a couple of times to calm the class down, she explained as simple as she could to the class what blindness means.

Yes, she'll deal with her sudden deja vú in private.

"We're the same age. You said your name is Clarice, didn't you? Can I call you Clay?"

Casting a quick curious look at the green-eyed student, she continued on with the lesson. And although she did put effort to include Harry in most conversations, he seemed to have a talent to quickly shoot it down with weird facts.

"Huh. Hey Billy? Do you know that there are types of rabbits that eat humans? Yeah, do shut up."

The boy seemed to also have a talent in diverting the conversation from him to another classmate in a blink of an eye.

"Me? Oh, nevermind that! How in the bloody hell did you find that! Where did you go? Madam Cole would go nuts!"

And it intrigues her.

"I'm so old. I think my soul is aching."

It intrigues her because the boy reminds her so much of Mary, that one girl who looked so cold yet is probably the kindest one there and she would always berate whoever that causes troubles, especially the bullies.

"Do that once more and you won't have any fingers left to wipe your arse."

The girl who always spouts nonsense and declaring herself as Death's friend, just like the boy in her class. Speaking of the whom is currently whispering to himself, which Clarice remembered, Mary would also sometimes whisper to thin air as though she was conversing with somebody.

".....-Haha, oh shut up you immortal virgin-..... -uh huh, you know your threats don't scare me."

Her whisperings always got her in trouble with Mrs Cole and eventually she became a second residence of the cellar.

"Clay, guess what! I made friends with the guy who was always in the cellar!"

She was a very quiet kid, only jumping in when necessary.

"That means you're an idiot, you idiot."

She was her first friend.

"What? Aren't we friends already?"

She was also her first death experience.

"Can't believe I'm going to die of bloody fucking food poisoning. Death is totally going to use this against me for a few lifetimes, at least."

She quickly shake out her thoughts when grieve overcame her and put on a smile to the students in front of her. She's here right now, with her students. And she has a class to teach.

"Do you believe in reincarnations?"

Grieve would come later, when no one was around.

"Don't worry. I'll be back, Clay. Promise."