Prologue: In Which He Is Tasked

"I'm supposed to do what?"

A mixture of disbelief and disgust colored the pale blonde's features as his eyebrows shot up and his mouth fell open. "That's hardly even possible, if you look at our history alone it will never allow for it-"

"I am not concerned with what is or is not 'allowed' Mr. Malfoy, and I would suggest you do not dwell on it either. This task is vital if you wish for the Dark Lord to be successful and you are the only option he has. I can assure you he would have pursued alternative courses of action if they had shown any sign of promise," Snape drawled in his usual monotone. He paused, then spoke. "I would strongly advise that you do not take this lightly. However, I'm sure you're already well aware of that."

"The odds are slim to none, it's never going to happen," Malfoy sneered, desperately searching for the magic words that would talk his elder into seeing some kind of reason. "You know just as well as I do that she's going to see right through me," he said, already exasperated with the idea.

Snape turned slowly to look at the young boy he'd made the Vow to protect. "Then you had better learn how to give a convincing performance." There was a sense of finality in Snape's tone that made something in Draco's stomach twist uncomfortably.

"This is not up for negotiation. Your part in the matter has already been decided. By now you should know better than to question the Dark Lord," Snape stated firmly, narrowing his eyes.

The young Malfoy heir found himself at a loss for words. His eyebrows had all but melted into his hairline, and his mouth was frozen open, willing any words to come to him that could sway Snape. He knew it was futile, but he'd sooner die than go through with this.

"Close your mouth Mr. Malfoy," Snape said, eyeing him with evident disdain and turning away with a swish of his robes. "I believe you have work to do," Snape paused mid step and turned his head over his shoulder to meet Draco's bewildered eyes once more before he disappeared into his office, "and I trust you will hear me when I say if you value anything in this life, it would do you well to succeed."