.15

ALL FOR US
"
AME MORTELLE"

MONSTERS DON'T sleep under your bed

MONSTERS DON'T sleep under your bed. It's a common assumption made by the younger population of the human race, an assumption that's been passed down from generation to generation. In reality there are no demons lurking at the foot of your bed or vampires hiding in your closet. No. The monsters are too smart to hide in obvious places. They will not make themselves known to you. You will never see a real monster, for the monsters sleep somewhere else, somewhere that you cannot reach. Monsters sleep inside your head.

"W-what?" Lonnie's stuttered as she took a step back from Natasha. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she shook her head. No. No, Lonnie was not a monster. "No."

"Yes!" Natasha's voice boomed throughout the darkness surrounding them as she took a step towards Lonnie. The second Natasha's foot his the ground the scene around them changed almost as quick as a snap of a finger. 

Light suddenly flooded Lonnie's vision as she was pulled from the dark abyss. It wasn't much light but it was a huge contrast from before. The sky around her was a dark purple with a hint of pink bleeding through the horizon where the sun was setting. Gray clouds were easy to make out in the sky as little flurries of snow fell down from them. She stood on what could only be described as a platform that extended out from a mountain. A dark stone decorated the three pillars on either side of the walkway to the center where she stood. The surroundings were familiar, too familiar. But it wasn't until Lonnie finally turned around to see the twin stones that climbed up towards the sky near the edge of the cliff, the same cliff she had watched Natasha throw herself off of, did Lonnie finally recognize where she was.

"No." The words fell from Lonnie's lips as a mere whisper as she looked around in horror. 

"Yes, Lonnie." Lonnie jumped slightly as Natasha's voice rang out from behind her. But it was the decision to turn around that Lonnie would forever regret. She'd never felt the urge to throw up more than now as she stared at the broken and battered form of her mother. Natasha's once soft eyes had transformed into a soulless white. Blood ran down down from her mouth and eyes. Lonnie could make out the huge crack in the back of Natasha's head and the way her hair was covered in her own blood. Her neck was twisted at a weird angle and her leg was bent a way it shouldn't be able to with some of the bone prominent through the cloth of her pants. "This is the work of monsters, kid. This is the work of you."

"No. No I-I..." Lonnie fumbled for words as she backed away from Natasha. "I-I tried to stop y-you."

"But you didn't!" Natasha's voice boomed with rage causing Lonnie's eyes to widen slightly. "I'm dead because of you!"

"No." Lonnie protested, her voice cracking ever so slightly. 

"Yes." A newfound fire formed in Natasha's eyes as her hands gripped harshly onto Lonnie's shoulders. "Now you will know what it's like." Lonnie tried to take a step back but was quick to realize there was nowhere for her to step back. She couldn't stop the way her eyes widened in horror as she looked down to realize that her feet were at the edge of the cliff.  "Now you will know what it's like to have your fate rest in the hands of a monster."