Angel With a Shield

Steve was an Angel, one of the few people born with a genetic mutation that gave them wings. No one would be surprised if he was actually from Heaven though.

Tony was just an ordinary human, but he was as close to hell as you could get without dying. And believe him, he's tried. 

When they first met, it was on the Helicarrier. They were trying to stop Loki. 

Tony was smitten as soon as he saw Steve.

But Steve was an Angel. He was perfect. Tony knew that Steve could never Want someone like Him. A man with drinking problems, trust issues, PTSD, and who couldn't even take care of himself, much less a spouse. Someone Broken.

Steve was equally enamoured by Tony, but Tony was the Definition of Perfection. What kind of idiot would he be to think Tony would want a broken, suicidal soldier with PTSD? Someone who got thrown out of his time, everyone he loved either dead or unable to remember him half the time, someone who wished he could just end it all but was too afraid to do it. 

So they pushed each other away. They said things they didn't mean in hopes of drowning out their feelings. They argued, each hoping to make the other hate them no matter how much they would hate themselves after.

"A big man in a suit of armor, take that away what are you?"

"Everything special about you came out of a bottle."

"You're not the type to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on the wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

"Threat! Verbal threat! I feel threatened!"

Things changed, however, when Tony flew the nuke through the portal. He wanted Steve to live even if it meant he died.

Steve kept the portal open because he couldn't bear to live a life without Tony in it. He had almost given up when he saw him falling back through the portal. But he wasn't slowing down. 

Oh my god he's not slowing down.

Tony opened his eyes and he was back on the ground. He couldn't think straight. Had they done CPR or something? 

"Please tell me Steve was the one who kissed me." 

Steve blushed when he heard that and when he realized that Tony hadn't been thinking when he said that he got even redder. 

But Tony remembered none of it the next day. So Steve let it be. 

But the next time it looked like Tony was about to be hurt in a battle, he didn't hesitate. He plowed through the ranks of their enemies, throwing them aside like they were nothing. Because life without Tony, it was just surviving. It wasn't Living. 

He was an Angel with a shield, but he would willingly give up his wings if Tony was alive and happy.

And in the end, that was the cost. 

But he paid it happily. 

Tony was worth it. 

The last part was shit, I know. I wrote it during Spanish class instead of doing a venn diagram. Fite me. 

Live long and prosper

-Kirk/ette