CHAPTER THIRTEEN

A lot. A lot has changed.

For one thing, the moment I returned, the VILE leaders all seemed to be trying to butter me up for whatever reason.

They were awfully hospitable to me, considering the fact that they probably didn't find me a good student anymore after the incident with Black Sheep two months ago. I mean, they basically left me to rot in prison for a good amount of time until they remembered my existence. Not that I wasn't used to that, but I thought VILE would've at least wanted to avoid losing a student who had the potential to be quite efficient.

But now they moved me to a dorm of my own, and even allowed me to have a pet goldfish (pets, unless they were service animals) were not allowed in the VILE faculty- not even fish.

But here they were, saying it was perfectly fine for me to keep my newly adopted pet goldfish, Jack, in the small aquarium tank on a tabletop inside my own dormitory- which I didn't have to share with anyone!

I didn't question it of course, because you never look a gift horse in the mouth. I wasn't going to jinx all these wonderful treatments I was receiving.

Although it was pretty suspicious, I'll admit. Why they even cared enough to finally bust me out of the slammer was weird enough on its own, but the way I was treated added to that was simply bizarre.

The next day, I sat down for lunch in the canteen, glancing around to look for Black Sheep.

I hadn't wanted to move out of my dorm because I missed her and wanted to catch up, see what I missed while I was stuck in jail.

But now when I'd finally get to see her at lunchtime, she was nowhere to be seen.

I frown, scratching my chin and staring down at my lunch, no longer feeling hungry.

At class, I was the one everyone was whispering about.

"See that girl? She was the jailbird."

"She's the one VILE Academy bailed out of prison."

"I wonder what she did to get stuck in jail and why did VILE decide to reinstate her?"

I was fighting quite the inner battle to not walk over to the students and punch their lights out.

I sat down and strived to pay as much attention as possible to the current class- Bait and Switch, but I found that very difficult. My eyes kept straying over to the desk beside me- which was empty.

Where was Black Sheep?