Healing

Opinions on the new cover? I figured it was more fitting

"Daddy said you like art," Lila spoke from where she sat on the couch. They had brought Wanda inside and gathered in the living room so they could get to know her.

"Yes, my mother used to hang up my art all around our apartment." Wanda answered from the two seated couch her and Laura were on. She had insisted on sitting with Wanda, and she had to admit. Laura's presence was making her feel more comfortable to speak to the others. But Laura had a child inside of her that Wanda couldn't risk hurting. So she stayed as far away as she possibly could. It was for the best.

"Will you paint with me one day?"

"Of course," Lila's eyes lit up in a way that Clint had only ever seen on the night of the fourth of July.

"You're sixteen, right?" Cooper inquired.

"Yes, I am." He nodded, and a look of pain flashed in Clints eyes, gone as quick as it came. Yet, it didn't go unnoticed by Laura, who had a feeling she knew what was going through his head, for the same was going through hers.

They stayed where they were for a while, but as Wanda grew to know more and more about each person, something became apparent to her. She didn't belong. She didn't deserve them. There was Laura, kind and protective and always ready to extend a helping hand to those in need. Then Cooper, one of the most intelligent boys she had ever met, the practical embodiment of his mother. Lila, she was a firecracker. The young ball of excitement welcomed anything and everything with open arms, yet her fierce personality reminded you not to underestimate her small stature.

And then there was Clint. Clint, the first one who had truly seen her and her brother as what they were, scared kids. Clint, the one who was so willing to give up room in his home and his heart for her, yet never seemed to regret it. Clint, one of the few people who, when he looks at her, doesn't see a monster. She tries not to, but she doesn't know how to stop her powers from reading peoples thoughts. Only the loud ones, though. The ones that scream killer, monstrosity, disgrace. Or the ones that project pity so loudly Wanda couldn't take it. But for very few people, its just affection. Warmth. Love.

But no. He couldn't love someone like her. He'd had his head tampered with before, he was probably just making her hear what she wanted to hear. Yet some, tiny piece of her, wished she was wrong. It prayed night and day that those emotions were real. That, in a world where she had lost everything, she could finally have a hand to hold as she faced her demons once more.

Laura excused herself to go make lunch, getting up and walking in the direction of the kitchen. As soon as the others looked away, though, she spun on her heel and made her way hastily up the stairs.

Once she reached the top, she entered her and Clint's room, shutting the door softly behind her as she deftly walked to the bed, barely making it before she collapsed, wrapping her arms around her stomach as silent sobs shook her body to the core.

"It- it isn't fair," she gasped out into the empty room, an unexplainable, gut wrenching pain seizing hold of her heart. "She-she-" Laura didn't even get the chance to finish her sentence as another wave of sobs hit.

After around five minutes, she stumbled into the bathroom, forcing her breathing to even as she splashed water onto her face. When she looked normal once more, she slowly made her way back to the kitchen, digging out the things she needed for lunch. Yet, as she sliced sandwich toppings and toasted bread, that unexplainable pain lingered in the back of her mind.

Laura had a feeling she knew what it meant. She wasn't sure of much, in that very moment. But, one thing she was sure of, was that she had a job to do. She had to save this girl. For everyone that sacrificed themselves to get her here. For everyone that cared about her. For Wanda herself. There was no question.

Come hell or high water, she would save this girl.

____________________

The day had gone by fairly smoothly. Wanda had been closed off, but that was to be expected. Right now, she was in the room the Bartons had kindly offered up to be her own, a children's book in her lap. As she ran her fingers over the smooth, colorful cover, she was hit by a wave of emotion.

It had been her favorite book as a child.

Her father had read it to her and Pietro so much she probly could have recited it from memory. Yet she wished she had let her brother choose what to read more often. He had always let her choose.

The bedside clock read 12:03, so she assumed herself to be the only one awake. That is, until she heard a soft knock against her door.

Getting up, she walked across the worn, creaking wooden floors to the door, cracking it open to see one Lila Barton before her.

"What are you doing awake?" Wanda asked, opening the door fully to allow herself a proper look at the child.

"I-um-" the little girl stumbled over her words. "I had a nightmare, and- and mommy and daddy are asleep, b-but I heard you so I thought that you were up and-" it was just then that she noticed the young girl was shaking.

"Do you want to come in?" Wanda asked with an amount of certainty that she hadn't realized she still possessed. She understood where Lila was coming from, and facing that alone was simply no good for anybody. Lila nodded, and Wanda hesitated as she reined in her powers, taking extra precaution as to not harm the other girl in any way, before offering her hand to Lila and guiding her to her bed when she took it.

"Do you need to talk about it?" Lila shook her head, so Wanda didn't press. All of a sudden, tears were welling up in Lila's eyes as she dove into Wanda, throwing her arms around the brunette as tightly she could.

Wanda only took a second to let her suprise show before one of her hands was carding through Lila's hair, the other firmly around her back. They stayed like that, Wanda humming softly until Lila's tears slowed to nothing. When she pulled away, Wanda wiped the tears off of Lila's face, smiling softly.

She got an idea, but what if she...? No, Wanda thought decisively. Just keep it under control.

"Would you like to see something cool, little one?" Lila nodded vigorously, momentarily forgetting her inner turmoil.

Wanda extended her hand between them, focusing every fiber of her being into keeping the swirl of red on her finger tips tamed. Red light glinted against Lilas face as she watched in wonder as the swirl slowly began to form a dog, racing from Wanda's palm and swirling around Lila, blowing her hair slightly. Lila giggled, clapping her hands.

"Try a pony! Try a pony!" The girl whisper-yelled. The dog grew into a horse, galloping up and above their heads.

As the girls watched the tiny read horse, two people peaked into the room, smiling softly before ducking out, giving the two their privacy once more.

"She's getting better," Clint whispered, a slight victory dance moving through his arms.

"Shes healing," Laura replied, a grin slowly taking hold of her features. "I love her already."

"I do too, Laura. I do too."

Happy late Halloween, everyone! Sorry for the month delay- I'm not exactly organized. Hope you enjoyed!