Chapter Three: Her Real Superpower

A deep freeze enveloped National city as Lena's jet landed on the runway.

Her bones ached, and her muscles throbbed from the cold. Lena thought about all the times she travelled and how eager she was to return home to Kara. Her heart was heavy and black from the loss of her soulmate. Loneliness seeped from her being, carrying a heavy weight with her wherever she went. She was lost, and she wasn't sure how she would find her way back to contentment. She would settle for not crying.

Lena sat in her darkened office and stared out at the twinkling lights of the city that no longer felt like home. She was so engaged in her pain that she hadn't noticed the gentle rapping on her open door.

"Lena Kieran Luthor, why haven't you returned my text messages?"

Lena turned around and her heart leapt when she saw Sam standing in her doorway. Her eyes filled with bittersweet tears. She practically leapt from her chair and ran to her friend. Sam extended her arms, and they met in a warm and loving embrace. Lena held onto Sam tight. Before she knew it, she began to quietly sob on her shoulder.

Sam held on tighter and ran a gentle hand over Lena's head.

"Okay, Lena. What's wrong. You're scaring me."

Lena pulled her head back slightly but still held on, desperate for comfort.

"What makes you think there's anything wrong?" Lena said, with a sad laugh, tears falling down her pale cheeks.

"Jesus. I'm glad I came. Come and sit down. I'll grab you some water," Sam said, guiding Lena over to the couch. She walked to Lena's desk and grabbed her glass. When she returned Lena was already dabbing at her face with a tissue and trying to compose herself.

"Waterproof mascara, the best investment I ever made," Lena said with a sad chuckle.

Sam moved closer to Lena and wrapped an arm over the top of the couch.

"What's going on, Lena? You fell off the radar and you know how that makes me nervous."

Lena's head dropped. In an effort not to weep, she bit her lip so hard it bled rusty in her mouth.

"It's Kara."

"What's new?" Sam asked, not at all surprised. "Have things improved since your first meeting? We haven't really talked about it."

"Sam, I'm in love with her," Lena blurted out. She held her breath and waited for a shocked response from Sam.

"I know," is all she said.

Sam's smile and flat tone indicated Lena's words came as no great shock.

"Really?"

"Everyone who sees you two together knows the affection between you is palpable."

Lena clenched her fists tight. The cuts from the night before were still raw and painful.

"Not anymore. She's done. I guess she couldn't get past my wrongdoings and now we aren't talking. We may never talk again."

Sam threw her hands up in disbelief.

"Oh, come on. Not Kara. There is no way. She doesn't give up on anyone. She's a good person."

"She gave up on me, Sam. She said she feels nothing for me. She's 'numb', whatever the hell that means. She didn't ask for more time to process. She didn't say she was still angry. Quite the contrary. She says she is not angry anymore, but she just doesn't care."

"Wow. Now I see why you weren't returning my texts."

"No. I'm genuinely sorry about that. After feeling the pain of her indifference, I never want to make anyone feel like that. She left me raw and devastated. I really apologize."