Bonding

The ride back was one of just pure awkwardness. No one spoke. No one held a discussion. Well more like Sam did try to have a conversation with the boy who was sitting in the cup holder, but he wouldn't say anything back. Sam would make comments towards the human like "How was school?" And Chesher would just reply with simply replies like "Good."

"Did you make any friends?"

"Not really."

"Have a favorite class?"

"Nope."

And this went on for the entire ride. The awkwardness between them could be cut with a knife because it was so thick. It wasn't the fact that Chesher didn't want to talk, he did, just not with him. There was nothing wrong with Sam...he just...he just didn't know anything about the guy and he wasn't in the mood to open up at this moment. Not on a car ride.

A breath of fresh air came in when the human could feel the vehicle's tires stumble off the pavement directly onto a gravel road. The vibrations of rocks hitting tires and the sound of them flying everywhere after ricocheting off the metal parts toward the grass. Being smaller in stature he would notice smaller noises and textures more often then he used to. They were almost home.

Two minutes pass and the truck's hums die down to a silent stutter finally dying in the process.

"Alright. I'm going to drop off a few items in the barn then we can go to the house." Sam reached down to grab the human causing his eyes to do wide.

"Um wait!" he didn't mean to raise his voice, but he had to grab Sam's attention. "Travis is in the barn. Right?"

"Yeah, I mean, he's working on-"

"You can just drop me off there then." Sam gave him this confused look.

"You sure? The house isn't-"

"No...I think I need to figure something out first. Travis may be able to help with it."

"Schoolwork?"

"Yeah I guess," he said looking away and rubbing his hair. He felt guilty lying about something so simple, but doesn't want to sound desperate to talk to Travis.
-------------------------------------------------------

"Hey! You have a guest!" Sam walked into the barn looking around. He knew Travis was in here. The music only blared in the barn when he was inside working on his vehicles. Sam gently leaned down allowing Chesher off his hand as he slowly walked over to a wooden workbench to drop off a package that probably contained a car part Travis needed to complete his work.

"Yeah! Back here!" a crashing sound and the shout of "Shit!" confirmed Travis was closer to the back. He most likely dropped something on the ground or dropped a tool on a part of his body again. For a skilled worker and mechanic, that kid was one of the clumsiest he has ever met. Sam honestly didn't know where he got it from since He and Berneice we're not like that period. He crouched down on the ground to talk to Chesher for a moment.

"Back there. Just be careful. You might want to come back later."

"No, I'm fine." he was honestly curious about what was even happening back there to comply and go back to the house. Sam stood back up and walked over the human, causing him to run to the side. He knew Sam didn't mean to, but these people had to think more about their actions.

Wandering further back Chesher noticed more and more of the barn that interested him, especially if it was items that replicated human creation. He wandered past the main part of the barn that was filled with typical farm equipment. Walking through the slits in a pitchfork he looked above him. There were rafters so high above his head he could never imagine reaching up there. He stepped over many strands of stray hay from the bale off to the side of him that was used for growing items such as the field, grass, and to sell to others. Just one strand was like a branch to him. The piece was round and frayed at the end, obviously stepped on or move a hundred times. The air around him just proved he was in a farm area. That fresh smell of mud, grass, and wet earth filled his nostrils.