CHAPTER TWO

TEN YEARS LATER

In the beautiful town of Volterra, there lived a sixteen-year-old girl, well, young woman

In the beautiful town of Volterra, there lived a sixteen-year-old girl, well, young woman. However, this young woman was not like any other young woman in the small town, but the future queen of the vampire race. As the young girl walked down the narrow streets of her hometown, she couldn't settle the feeling of something pending in the air, but she just shook the feeling and adjusted her red cloak being careful not to drop the freshly baked bread and other items in her hands. On this day, Saint Marcos Day, the people of Volterra gather in the middle of the main street to look at floats, decorations and give offerings to the Saint to celebrate the banishment of all vampires.

Reniece always loved this holiday for some reason, it was this day when she felt happiest, and it would explain why she always went all out with her offerings. She bought wine, strawberries, grapes, pretzels, strawberry pies, and roses all from the local grocery shop, however, she prepared and baked the bread personally.

Reniece hummed and then sighed in contentment, a slight warm breeze making her longs curls wave behind her. She continued to walk past the familiar homes that had existed way before she was born, even though, the neighborhood she lived in was old and dangerous, it's beauty was never taken.

It's been ten years since Reniece met those three men that night, and since then her mothers never let the girl go anywhere by herself

It's been ten years since Reniece met those three men that night, and since then her mothers never let the girl go anywhere by herself. She even walks to school with her best friends every day, Naomi and Kevin. The reason why they were unable to go with her to the festival was that they were busy celebrating Saint Marcos in their way.

Once the girl gets to the end of the neighborhood block, her hazel eyes subconsciously searched the crowded street to settle on a young woman and young man standing by a blue Mercedes Benz, appearing to be waiting for someone. The caramel-skinned girl began making her way towards the car and halfway the young woman who was leaning on the car made eye contact. The young woman flashed a smile as she went to meet the girl in the middle. Her dark brown hair swung from side to side as she ran.

When the young woman reached the younger girl, she gave her a warm hug before pulling away, her chocolate brown eyes shining with happiness.

"Ehi, Renéece! Sei pronto per partire?" The young woman who went by the name of Mary asked, the sweet tone of her voice was lighter as she took her red cloak that was hanging on her arm and slipped it on. ("Hey Reniece! Are you ready to go?")