chapter 2 - glimpse of childhood

The little Rajkumari Rukmini was playing with the handmade dolls specially made for her, with numerous dasis at her service.

Everyone loved her alike. Her little charm and grace was something everyone wished to see. Every sage that would visit the court of Bhismaka would want to see her. They would depart with a pleasant smile on their face and would have blessed her even though she is beyond any blessing and it would be she that have actually blessed them.

She was not a very naughty child but rather mature and understanding for her age, exhibiting kindness to every little creature she would meet. She was so connected to nature and going on small nature exploration was her favorite thing to do along with her mother.

She was so absorbed in her dolls when she noticed a little girl of her age peeking at her from outside the room she was in.

She quickly got up, picked one of her dolls and ran towards the little girl and extended it to her. The girl reluctantly looked at Rukmini and the doll as she definitely knew that a princess interacting with a commoner is not acceptable within the palace walls. But she also wanted to play with these beautiful dolls. Rukmini with an adorable smile said"Take it".

Out of nowhere a dasi came running and held the little girl by her arms"Mayurika, how many times have I told you to stay beside me? Apologize to the princess for disturbing her"she said sternly. The little girl looked down at her feet and didn't say a word.

"But I want to be friends with her"Rukmini said innocently with a cute frown on her face. Dasi looked at her and gasped. She was in a dilemma now as she can't nevermind the Rajkumari's words but everyone would point at her if she made them friends. She started regretting her decision of bringing her daughter along with her.

She made an effort to make Rukmini understand"look my dearest Rajkumari, It is not right for a princess to be friend with a commoner. Royal family members make relations with other royal families or noble families only. We are servants. Being too friendly with a servant can tarnish your grace's image" she said bowing her head.

Rukmini looked at dasi confused and said"I don't understand". The Maharani, hearing the conversation going on decided to step in"what's going on?"

The dasi on the sudden arrival of Maharani bowed in respect. Maharani with a nod acknowledged it.

"I want to play with her" said Rukmini pointing to Mayurika, the little girl.
"Of course you can my child. What is stopping you?"

"But Maharani, it is not right too..."
"what is not right is teaching youngsters that respect comes from status"she stated sternly. She then, with an affectionate voice, continued"Minds of children are pure. They won't understand the discrimination among themselves. Let them enjoy this innocence while it lasts"Maharani assured dasi by putting hands on her shoulders.

"You two can now go and play your heart out"Maharani said with a playful smile.

Rukmini dragged Mayurika into the room. Dasi smiled seeing her daughter happy after a long time, finally having a friend she could play with and enjoy. 'No wonder why this kingdom is so prosperous. When there is love and sense of unity in the heart of the ruler, it would be easy to develop a land where people can feel the warmth of protection and happiness without being constantly haunted by the fear of dictatorship'she thought to herself. She sighed in relief and went on to do her duties in the palace.

Rukmini overjoyed on developing a new friendship and decided to give her dear friend a tour of the huge castle of Vidarbha.

Vidarbha's castle was true wonder. There were paintings hanged here and there and the golden work done on the walls enhanced its beauty. The hallways were decorated with huge vase filled with numerous types of flowers such as Lilly, tulips, sunflower and much more but the one which was more in quantity was beautiful red roses, which were handpicked from Maharani's humongous garden outside the palace.