2

You? The heir of Gryffindor? But if you were somehow related to Godric Gryffindor, how on earth were you a Slytherin?

These thoughts continued to plague your mind as you hopped in the shower.

Tom doesn't talk to anyone unless it's somehow beneficial to him, how do you even begin? 

You got out of the shower and quickly got dressed, Making your way to the great hall for breakfast. It looked like you were early as there were only a few students seated.

You began to make your way over to the Slytherin table, until you spotted a familiar black haired boy with his nose in a book as usual. Why did he even come to breakfast if all he does is read?

You made the sudden decision to change course for the many empty seats and headed straight to him, placing yourself directly opposite, he didn't seem to acknowledge you at all. You opened your mouth to say something but he got up and moved away without even taking a glance at you. Prat.

You could tell this was going to be harder than you had originally thought.

To be honest, you didn't have many friends.. Or any for that matter. You weren't the most social creature in the world, and even if you were, you came here to learn, not to create drama and get close to people you would eventually drift away from. 

Of course sometimes you would get slightly jealous looking at the groups of people outside in the courtyard, or in the halls having fun and laughing, something you hadn't done in a long time. But even if you were to make friends with someone where would you even start?

You were great at manipulating people, but you didn't want to force someone into being friends with you.

ironic as that is what you were attempting to do with Tom.

You made it to potions and sat at your desk, your head resting in your hand as you drowned out what the professor was saying. Slughorn was brilliant, but damn he was boring.

"Miss L/N." You snapped yourself out of your thoughts and glanced at Slughorn who had turned his attention onto you, as well as the rest of the class.

"Can you please tell me what 'Veritaserum' is." You sighed slightly and sat upright.

"Veritaserum is a powerful truth telling serum which effectively forces the drinker to truthfully answer any and all questions. However the use of this potion is strictly controlled by the british ministry of magic. Although being the most powerful truth telling serum, there are ways to resist it such as: taking the antidote or occlumency- the act of magically closing one's mind against legilimency.

Slughorn's face had quickly morphed into a shocked grin and continued to question you.

"Continue.."

"Only an advanced potion maker should attempt to brew Veritaserum as the process is long and complex. The finished product must mature over the course of one full lunar cycle, approximately twenty- eight days. If you have done this successfully the potion will be colourless, odourless, and almost indistinguishable from water."

The smile on his face only grew, and the looks people in the class were giving you were almost laughable.

"Well done Miss L/N! Well done. 15 points to Slytherin." He clapped slightly and turned back to his cauldron at the front of the class, and you went back to not paying attention looking over to your right, spotting Tom looking at you with an expression you couldn't quite place. When his eyes met yours he didn't look away like a normal person would when they were caught staring, instead he continued to glare into your eyes. Feeling suddenly bold, you happily glared back. He eventually looked away and you both turned back to the lesson.

After what felt like forever the class was finally dismissed, Slughorn had called your name and you waited for the rest of the class to clear out.

"Good work today Miss L/N, I hope to see you continue like this throughout the year, you have an excellent grasp on potions. Did your parents teach you perhaps?" He questioned as he sat at his desk at the front.

Your parents had both gone to Hogwarts, it was how they met. Your father wanted to be a potions professor, and was very skilled in that subject.

"Yes sir, they would teach me a few things when I was younger, It was obvious they wanted me to take after them." You replied with a slight chuckle.

"Yes. Your father in particular was a very talented young man, I remember teaching him when I first came here... I'm sorry to hear about his.. Accident."

It had been a while since someone had brought that up, you had always tried to not think about it. It didn't happen too long ago, 2 years to be exact, it still hurt rather badly to discuss the topic of his death.

The atmosphere of the room had changed drastically once he brought that up and he quickly attempted to recover from his recent words.

"Oh my apologies, that was very inconsiderate of me to bring that matter up in such a way, my sincerest apologies Miss L/N."

"It's fine sir, it's just been a while since someone had brought it up, you just caught me off guard. But if you do excuse me sir, I must be on my way. I can't be late to charms."

"Ah yes of course. Goodbye Miss L/N."

"Have a good day sir."

You exited the classroom and darted down the corridor, you couldn't be late to charms again. You continued to run until you bumped into something, almost knocking you over. You winced and rubbed your head, now aching from the sudden impact and you looked up.

"Oh, sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going."

"Obviously."

Tom was standing, unimpressed, with a book under his arm. Suddenly remembering why you were running you looked around frantically.

"Shit, do you know what the time is?" You asked. But before he could answer you began to run down the corridors again.

"Nevermind, and sorry again!" You yelled back as you continued to move forwards. He just stood completely taken back by you, and continued to flick through his book he had recently acquired from the library.