Chapter 1: Of Stars & Magic

In a time where magic, mythical beings, and humans coexisted all at once, the world was lit up in a serene light. The full moon hung amidst the blanket of stars that seemed as if they had all came out to bid farewell.

Under the moonlight, there was a soft glow on a woman's figure. Shen Mohua's large eyes lazily blinked every now and then.

The moon seemed to be so close, as if she could touch it just by reaching out her hand.

It was enchantingly beautiful, an out of the world kind of beauty. The moon carried itself mysteriously and this always piqued her interests. How would it feel against her skin? Would it be as soothing as she imagined?

Slender fingers hover before the moon shining in all of its glory. Those hands hesitated briefly before moving aside. Although she was tempted by the moon's mesmerizing beauty, it was the stars she reached for.

Elders in their village believed the birth of a child was like the birth of a star, each and every child was unique and special. Her fingers slowly etched out each stroke of her name among the blanket of stars above her. One day, she'll be with them above.

"Each and every one of you are like a star," Grandma Shen said. "Magic are all around us in the world, but you all have your own kind of magic, and the strongest magic is hidden deep inside. It's up to you to release that power or not."

"Elder Shen, what does magic look like?" A child asked.

"I'm afraid that's a secret for you to find out." A spark shone knowingly in the elder woman's eyes. "Children, don't spend too much time wondering. Just get up and search. Don't give up and one day, you'll find it."

Grandma Shen's stories were endless, but these lines stuck with her. She took those words to heart.

From the age of ten, she wandered everywhere for a glimpse of the magic in Grandmother Shen's stories. Each time she hiked up the mountains, she wandered further and further until there wasn't a spot she hadn't explored in their village. 

"Nainai, you lied. There is no magic," a disappointed girl in dirty clothes trudged towards the bamboo hut after a long day out on the farthest hillside. 

Grandma Shen laid out herbs to dry in the sun. Her eyes crinkled at the corners. "Ah Mo, you are forgetting the most important detail."

"You said magic is all around, but look what I found," the little girl placed down the empty basket on her back. "Nothing here will help me get better."

"Magic is all around us, much of which are hidden from the eyes, but remember where the strongest magic lies."

"Inside, I know," she replied with a heavy sigh. The little girl did not speak it aloud, but where was hope when she was slowly dying inside each day? Some had a lifetime to search for magic while her days would never amount to a lifetime.

Shen Mohua's gaze passed the backyard in which she helped Grandma Shen dried the herbs that day. Pressing down her emotions, she jumped down and slipped into the house. 

---

On the next afternoon, a gray carriage drove out of the village into the horizon. 

Shen Mohua stuck her head out the window. The strong wind whipped her hair around her face. With the crazy looking hair, she grinned at her grandma. 

"Ah Mo, get yourself back inside." Grandma Shen warned disapprovingly. The carriage was moving at full speed and the young girl had half her body out!

Shen Mohua didn't listen right away. It was only after the carriage passed through a large grove of plum trees and she was able to snatch a small branch of plum blossoms did she finally let herself back into the carriage.

She plucked off a flower and placed it behind her grandma's ear. The young girl's eyes were full of admiration. "Beautiful."

Grandma Shen's hair had turned white and her skin wrinkled with time, but she was still no doubt beautiful. Just like how every flower bloomed in their own way, every woman held their own kind of beauty.

Grandma Shen couldn't help but break into a smile. She could never stay angry for long. 

Because of her recent mischief, Shen Mohua sneakily scooted closer before asking in an especially sweet tone, "Nainai, when will we reach the capital?"

"Be patient, child. Another day of travelling and we'll arrive."

Shen Mohua leaned back onto the seat, feeling at eased with herself. She happened to see a group of birds soaring over the mountains against the backdrop of the blue sky and lively field of colors.

Since young, she was often told she had the heart of a bird although she was named after a flower. In her childhood, she grew up running through rice paddies and chasing the horizon. 

Sometimes, she gathered herbs in the mountains and laid on fields of wildflowers. Other times, she swam by the waterfall with the fish. On rare occasions, she sat beside Grandma Shen learning embroidery. She lived like she was dancing on clouds and shone with a bright smile even on rainy days. 

Small things filled her heart with such big happiness. That was, before everything came crashing down. In front of others, she kept a smile and silently bore the pain by herself. No one dared say it aloud, but she knew her time was running out. 

The world was vast and endless, she had yet to see the mythical beings she's only heard others speak of or discover the strongest magic in the lands. There were hundreds of places she wanted to visit and thousands of things she wanted to accomplish. However, there was just one wish in her heart. 

Please, give me more time. Let me make them happy once more before I go. 

Shen Mohua was just one person, similar to one star in the night sky or a single bloom amongst the fields of colors. With one blink, she could easily vanished as if she was never there. 

As if she was all but a beautiful daydream.