Chapter 7: Silent Compliance

Ouyang Jun's figure froze. His voice was caught up in his throat. It was hard to speak. His voice softened, "Then why are you still here...?"

"What am I here for, other than to introduce myself to my future husband?" She laughed softly, taking a step forward. "Shall we eat now?"

His response was one word, "Foolish."

She only smiled at his comment and dragged him back to their seats.

Half an hour later, he spoke again. "Stop staring and eat."

Shen Mohua blinked. "How did you know?"

Ouyang Junsan gestured to his ears. "No sounds. What else is in here other than me?"

Her ears turned bright red. She couldn't respond back. It was too embarrassing. She could only stuff herself with food so her mouth would stay busy.

Thus, the two people who were just in a tensed confrontation ate in silence. The atmosphere was neither awkward nor tensed. She would describe it as safe for now, but no guarantee.

Once they finished, she sneakily pulled out the paper from her waist. "If you don't mind, let's get to know each other better."

"You wrote it down?" He sounded incredulous.

"En, my memory is a bit... forgetful sometimes." She glanced down at her horrible handwriting. It seemed she was too excited yesterday and her writing now looked like chicken scratches. "Uhh..."

With her hesitation, it wasn't hard to guess. Again, his voice was laced with disbelief, "You can't read your own handwriting?"

"I, I brought the wrong paper," she lied. Truth be told, she wasn't a great student. While other children her age spent hours practicing calligraphy, she was up on the mountains practicing martial arts. 

Ouyang Jun didn't comment. He stood up, calm and indifferent. "I'll accompany you home."

As his long legs strode ahead, she quickly followed. By the doorsteps of Lotus House were a couple fruit stalls. When they exited, she boldly dragged him to a table of ripe lychees. "Wait for me, I want to get some fruits for Nainai."

Shen Mohua quickly bought two bags, then turned to him. "Ouyang Jun, What fruits do you like?"

Ouyang Jun was a little surprised. "I don't want any right now."

"Then how about for later?"

"I..." He hesitated. He was not one to tell other's his personal taste. Especially not someone he had just met. If Shen Mohua was someone else, he wouldn't even be a part of this conversation.

But she wasn't someone else... He cleared his throat, "I like to drink tea at night."

Her face brightened. She didn't expect him to give an actual reply. "Come, let's go to the teashop across the street."

Shen Mohua gleefully led him by the sleeve. It was hard to believe that just a hour ago, she was intimidated into speechlessness by him. Now, her small figure was dragging his large frame everywhere...

Inside the small shop, there were tall shelves of hundreds of tea. The air carried a pleasant herbal scent. Along the back wall, there were teapots, teacups, and other accessories.

"What type of tea do you like?" She asked.

"Jasmine tea." Ou Junsan answered before he realized the complications of his answer.

The reason he liked jasmine tea was because Song Qiuyue liked it. Her favorite fragrance was also of jasmine flowers...

Shen Mohua carefully looked through the bags on display. "Green, oolong, lavender, chrysanthemum..."

"Jasmine tea isn't here. Oh wait, I see it there!" Being able to find what Ouyang Jun wanted was more fulfilling than she imagined. She prepared to run over.

He grabbed her arm. "I changed my mind. I don't like jasmine tea."

"Ah?" Confusion slapped onto her face.

"I want something else now," he casually said.

If Ouyang Jun said so, then she didn't mind. She smiled adorably, "What is it?"

"Choose something you like."

"Ah...?" Shen Mohua glanced at Ouyang Jun. His undisturbed face was unreadable.

Nonetheless, she was contented. Today was their first meeting and everything was going smoothly. It was actually better than she imagined. Knowing Ouyang Jun was a quiet person in nature, she expected to face some challenge getting him to loosen up. To her satisfaction, he was cooperating quite well.

Shen Mohua drank tea every once in a while. Grandma Shen was the tea expert. Because of the elder's love for tea, she naturally tried a couple types before. After a moment of consideration, she chose an exquisite box of magnolia tea. "Uncle, I'll take this please."

The nice uncle behind the desk happily looked up. "Ah, good choice. Magnolia has many healing qualities. One of them being soothing, it's good for the mind. Helps with sleep and reducing stress."

"Thank you, uncle." She paid and walked back to Ouyang Jun, who stood waiting with her two bags of lychees. Her eyes paused on his hands that held onto her things without complaints.

By then, a young boy came around with a carriage. He seemed to know Ouyang Jun.

The boy in his teens was dressed in light blue with his hair in a high bun. His eyes were carefree and he grinned as he approached them, "Hi, I'm Ouyang Jie. You must be Miss Shen."

"Yes, you're so smart. How did you know?" She had just met this boy and she liked him already. He was bubbly and easygoing, very much like herself.

Ouyang Jun left the two conversing and went up the carriage. Ouyang Jie made sure Brother Ouyang was gone before he whispered to her, "Stony like elder brother, which woman would he be with, if not his fiancée?"

Shen Mohua burst laughing, but did not dared to laugh too loud. When she entered the carriage, the man on her mind was seated against one wall. He tried to put as much space between them as he could.

Respectfully, she placed the box of magnolia tea between them. Once they were almost at her residence, she bravely asked, "You'll drink it?"

Ouyang Jun didn't move at all, only one sound came out, "En."

Suddenly asking for her choice earlier, she didn't know he meant it. Shen Mohua was given an inch and she wanted a mile. "While drinking... you'll think of me?"

His thick eyebrows scrunched together in disagreement. "That's farfetched."

Her lips curved up in delight, "Good enough."