Chapter 8: Did You Think Of Me?

Shen Mohua rose with the sun.

The early bird held a small silver watering can, hovering over the rows of plants by the window. As she went about, caring for her lovely friends, she hummed softly.

The cool morning breeze brushed into the room every now and then. On her face was an unremovable smile.

"Ah Mo, one meeting and you've fallen already?" Shen Fai teased as he came in.

Her lips pouted furiously, "Look at me, I'm standing on my feet."

He leaned onto the window ledged and rolled his eyes. "As soon as Ouyang Jun strolls around, you'll be on the floor."

Shen Mohua laughed, imagining herself falling literally at the sight the celestial commander. Her dancing eyes glanced at her brother. "Ah Fai, Ouyang Jun is... good."

"You sure he's just... good?" Shen Fai wiggled his eyebrows mischievously. "It's been two days and you haven't stopped blushing."

Her hands went up to her warm cheeks. "I..."

Just a glance at his innocent sister he asked, "You like him?"

Did she like Ouyang Jun? Shen Mohua wasn't sure yet.

"Use today to find out, isn't he coming in the afternoon?" He offered.

Shen Fai wasn't fond of the idea of his sister getting married. He didn't want to think about parting with her. Once Ah Mo married, he was afraid he could no longer see her as often as he wished.

What if her husband was a strict man who wouldn't let her out? What if her husband mistreated her? What if... these days he couldn't eat or sleep well because he was filled with worries. Still, he wanted Ah Mo to be happy above all else. He wished she could live freely and happily like any girls her age.

Her voice lowered for some reason, suddenly nervous. "How do I know if I like him or not?"

He smiled proudly and gestured her over. "You've asked the right person."

---

Ouyang Jie drove the carriage to the Shen's residence with ease. He stopped the carriage at the gates. "Brother Ou, we've arrived. Would you like me to get sister Shen?"

Ouyang Jun didn't reply. Ouyang Jie was used to the commander's silence. He patted his clothes lightly, preparing to head inside when Ouyang Jun came down the carriage.

Emotionless as usual, he stated simply, "Go."

Ouyang Jie hid his surprise and dutifully performed his job. Side by side, he held onto Brother Ouyang's sleeves. "Five steps forward. Up the stairs twelve steps. Sister Shen is just ahead."

Ouyang Jun briefly hesitated. "What is she wearing today?"

"Last time, she wore a white shirt and green skirt." Ouyang Jie slyly inserted the extra information before continuing, "Today, elder sister is in a light blue dress with butterflies. Her hair is put up like uh, those married ladies. And she is smiling ridiculously big, like you're the sun or something."

Ouyang Jun lightly pinched the boy's hand. "What rubbish are you spewing?"

Ouyang Jie grinned. "She's waving at me now."

From the inside, Shen Mohua looked up. She waved at the cute Ouyang Jie before her eyes traveled to the tall figure that was Ouyang Jun.

Today, he wore black robes with small white embroideries on the collars and sleeves. His hair were neatly tied up, swaying with the movements of the wind. As before, she couldn't guess what he was thinking with that blank expression.

With his chilly appearance, others would think twice before approaching him, but Shen Mohua ran forward without a second thought. She swiftly ran across the stone path, stopping just in front of him.

Her gaze followed his silky hair in interest. With the shine of the sun, she realized his hair wasn't exactly black. "Ouyang Jun, your hair is red."

Ouyang Jun didn't respond to her. What he asked was, "Are your parents home?"

"Mother, father, and Ah Fai went out this morning. There's only Nainai, but she's taking a nap." She paused for a second, "Would you like to meet her?"

"It's fine. Don't wake her up."

Her eyes softened. "Did you come inside to pay respects to the elders before we leave?"

"You think too much." He turned around and Ouyang Jie led him back out.

Shen Mohua happily rejoiced inside her head. Since the last time they met, she noticed his verbal denials didn't quite match with his actions sometimes. 

"Are you coming?" He stopped two steps away.

"I'm coming!" She quickly ran past them and up the carriage.

Once he followed in, he paused. "You... why are you sitting in the center?"

The naughty smile on her lip fell down. "Ah? How do you know?"

"Can't see, but can sense." He came forward and literally carried her a seat over with ease.

Shen Mohua watched as he sat down calmly. She was not the least bothered either, she could only praised him. Ouyang Jun was so strong!

He quietly scolded. "How can you sit so carelessly next to a man?"

She slightly frowned, finding nothing wrong about it. "Ah? But you'll soon be my husband."

"..." How could the word "husband" rolled off her tongue so casually? Ouyang Jun added, "And your family, how could they leave?"

"It's because you were coming over that they could be at ease. You're their future son-in-law. Naturally, they trust you to take care of me," she explained.

From the side, his well defined jawline beautifully shaped his face. His cold eyes stared straight forward, and his nose was tall and straight. The cruel scar on his eye made his aloof appearance all the more terrifyingly handsome. In contrast to the other fierce features, his lips looked to be extremely soft.

She leaned forward and asked excitedly, "So, did you drink it?"

"Drink."

"Did you think of me?"

"Think-- nonsense!"

Her sweet giggles rang in the air. Shen Mohua sat back towards the wall obediently. She spoke no more for the rest of the ride.

It wasn't necessary, for her eyes shone brighter than the stars at nighttime.