Chapter 3: Marigold

"Uncle Tom! Sybbie!" I called as I saw my uncle and cousin came up the drive next to us. I leaned out the window and waved to them.

"Marigold, don't hang out the window." Mama chided. "You're going to hurt yourself." 

"But Mama," I said, annoyed. "Surely you would have hung out the window if you saw your cousin and uncle." 

"Actually, I haven't got any cousins and my uncle died and the other lives in America. So I can't relate to the impulse." I laughed as I watched Sybbie and Uncle Tom sprint ahead of the car.

"Oh I can't wait to see everyone again," I told Mama excitedly. "And to think that Georgie is turning eighteen. It was exciting when Nora and Sybbie turned eighteen, but this is even more exciting. He's gone to be the Earl of Grantham."

"I know, it's quite exciting," Mama replied. We pulled up in front of the house and I leapt out of the car. I ran over to my cousins and hugged each of them

"I'm so excited to see you!" I said to Caroline as I reached the end of the line of cousins. "I feel as though it's been ages since I saw all of you."

"I do to," Caroline said. "Where are Jack and Cate?" I pointed to the car with my father and siblings coming up the drive now. They pulled up next to our car and my brother and sister hopped out. Grandpa Robert and Granny Cora came over to greet my parents and my siblings came to see our cousins.

"I can't believe you are going to be the Earl of Grantham, Georgie," Cate said after hugging George.

"After that you won't be able to call me Georgie anymore," he replied, laughing. Nora shook her head and patted George on the back.

"Oh we'll still call you Georgie," she said. "You can count on that." George tried to protest, but Sybbie and Nora shut him right up.

"Shall we go inside?" Granny Cora asked. The group of us continued into the house and up into the library. When we got into the library, we split into groups and talked among them. Sybbie was with Nora, Caroline with Cate, and Grace, Jack talking to George and Aunt Mary." I didn't feel like I fit in any groups, so I went over to Mama, who was talking to Uncle Tom, Grandpa Robert and Granny Cora.

"Mama," I said and pulled her aside. "I was wondering if I could go into the village to stretch my legs. I could take your old bike and be back before luncheon. Please?"

"Oh, I don't see why not," she said. "But be back very soon." 

"Thank you!" I said and hugged her. I quietly left the library and got Mama's bicycle from where she had kept it. I hopped on and started my ride out to the village. The wind rushed in my face as the bicycle sped down the path. Finally, I reached the outskirts of the village and pushed in. I looked around at the place I once knew like the back of my hand. Everywhere I looked, different memories came flooding back. I was tangled in my thoughts, that I didn't notice the bump in the road. My tire hit the bump and flung me off of the seat. I landed flat in the grass, dirt staining my maroon dress.

All you alright, miss?" Someone asked, running over. I brushed as much dirt off of my dress as possible.

"I'm fine," I told him. I looked over at the bike and found it broken and messed up. "But I'm afraid my bike isn't."

"I can help you," the young man told me. "My dad taught me how to fix it because my brother was always breaking his. Will you come with me?" I studied him for a moment, thinking. He seemed nice and he was certainly handsome. He had chocolate colored hair and blue eyes and a warm smile. He seemed like he wasn't going to harm me or anyone for that matter.

"Alright," I told him. He smiled and helped get my bike up. We walked it over to a small garage just on the other side of the square. "So," I said when we got there. "What's your name?"

"Why do you want to know?" He asked. 

"I want to know the name of my hero," I said. "How else can I pay you back."

"Sorry, sorry. That was rude of me," he said. "But I'll tell you after I fix your bike." I laughed a little and watched him put chains and gears where they belonged.

"I wish I knew how to fix things," I thought out loud. He looked up from his work and wiped the grease off of his hand against his cheek.

"I could always teach you," he replied. I looked at him, excitedly.

"Could you really? I'm a quick learner and it won't take long." He nodded and wheeled the bike over to me.

"Come back here tomorrow after lunch and I can teach you how to fix things. We'll start small with bike chains and other such things, but we might even get up to car engines one day."

"I will," I told him, hopping on My bike. "Now will you tell me your name?"

"My name's Billy, Billy Drewe," he told me. "And yours?"

"Marigold, Marigold Pelham." I waved goodbye to him and rode back toward the house. The whole way back, I thought of Billy. The way he helped me and his smile and his eyes and everything I knew about him. I reached the house and put the bike away quietly. I snuck back into the house and looked around for Mr. Barrow.

"Miss Marigold?" Someone said, causing me to whip around. "What are you doing?" Johnny was standing there holding food for lunch.

"Oh Johnny!" I exclaimed. "You nearly gave me a heart attack. I was wondering if you could tell me where the rest of the family is."

"They're in the dining room," he answered. I thank him hurriedly and went up into the dining room. 

"Marigold," Papa said. "Where have you been?" I sat down next in between Aunt Mary and George.

"Oh only out in the village," I answered. "My bike chain broke and I fell off, so I am running a bit behind."

"But your fine now?" Nora asked. I nodded and replied,

"Never better." Everyone resumed their conversations, but I just sat there, thinking. I wanted to learn everything I could about Billy Drewe. Where he was from, what his family was like, what he was like, but I mostly wanted to learn why I couldn't get him to leave my mind.

"Are you sure you're all right, Marigold?" George asked. I nodded and replied again,

"I've never been better," I replied and let everyone continue their conversations because I was lost in my own world