Chapter 4: Caroline

"Have you heard about the Germans invading Poland?" I asked Auntie Del near the end of luncheon. She nodded and put her fork down.

"I have," she replied. "My editor told me about them and asked me to write a story about it. They're saying England will have to join in soon as well as some other countries." 

"If we do, are they going to call up the young men like they did in the Great War?" I asked and looked at George. He ignored this and tried to not look nervous.

"They will, but we might not even enter the fight," Auntie Del said. "The Polish might be able to fight back."

"That's not focus on things that haven't happened yet," Granny Cora said. "We have to focus on George's birthday."

"But that hasn't happened either, Granny," Sybbie pointed out. 

"Well," Granny Cora said. "I meant let's focus on the happy things that have and will happen." We finished our lunch and people went their separate ways, so I followed Donk to the library. HE sat at his desk and I in a chair nearby.

"Can I ask you a question, Donk?" I asked. 

"Why do you still call me that? Even Jack and Cate have abandoned that name by now and they're younger than you," he said, slightly teasing, slightly annoyed.

"Because I love you and because I love the name," I said, teasingly. "Now, my question is what was it like to fight in a war?"

"It was scary yet exciting at the same time. It was adrenaline filled mostly, but I was still scared, why?"

"I don't know," I said. "I was thinking about George and if he had to go to war. Then I thought, what if I went and fought."

"That's ridiculous, Caroline. You wouldn't fight in a war," he laughed. "What an active imagination you have." I laughed along with him, but something told me that laughing about it wasn't right. 

"Why is that ridiculous?" I asked, slightly offended. I knew the answer, but wanted to hear him say it.

"I don't mean to offend you, Caroline, but I don't think you would be allowed. One, you're too young and two, you're a gir..." he stopped.

"Because I'm a girl?" I asked, angrily. "I can't fight because I'm a girl."

"Caroline, that's not what I was going to say," Donk said. 

"No it was," I told him. "That was exactly what you were going to say. Well, I'm not a weak and fragile woman. No I'm strong and I am willing to do what it takes." I ran out of the library, crying angrily. I opened the door to the my room and fell onto my bed. I sat there crying, thinking about what he had said. Woman had the vote, but that was it. We still were considered nothing, less than human if we had no husband. With a husband our rights became more and more restricted. Suddenly, the door to my room opened. Johnny walked in, but turned around embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, miss. I must have forgot where I was and thought I was going to Master George's room," he explained.

"Oh no, it's fine," I told him, but I would let Johnny slide with anything. I hadn't told anybody, but I had a crush on Johnny ever since he started working here. 

"Are you alright, Miss Caroline?" He asked. I wiped the tears from my eyes and wiped my nose with the back of my hand.

"I'm fine, Johnny. I just had a terrible conversation with Lord Grantham." I motioned for him to sit down.

"Am I allowed to sit?" He asked.

"You can if I say you can," I replied. He sat down next to me and I recounted the conversation for him.

"Wow," he said. "That's a lot."

"I know and now I'm sitting here, crying my eyes out." I continued to cry and Johnny put his arm around me. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, ma'am," he said. 

"Please just call me Caroline," I said. 

"If I may," he said. "If a war comes and you want to fight, I say, fight." I looked at him surprised and took a deep breath.

"Are you serious?" I asked. "You think I should fight if a war comes."

"Of course. You're strong and a good fighter when it comes to things you believe in. I've seen you argue with George and come out on top because you fight so hard for what you believe in," he said. I looked at him, happily and hugged him.

"Thank you," I said.

"Of course, ma'am, I...I...I...I mean Caroline." I looked at Johnny and wanted nothing more than to kiss him. I hoped and hoped he felt the same.

"Johnny, can I ask you something?" I said.

"Of course. What is it?" Johnny asked.

"I know this is rather a strange question, but do you have anyone you've taken a fancy to?" Johnny looked at me surprised, but nodded after a bit of thinking. "Because if you do, I could help her see how amazing you are. Who is it?"

"Y...you," he stuttered, nervously. I looked at him surprised, but then leaned closer to him. He leaned towards me and before I knew it, we were kissing. We broke apart and I leaned my forehead against his.

"You better get out of here," I told him. "You don't want anyone to see you kissing the sister of the further Earl of Grantham." I kissed him again, and he left quickly. I thought about what Johnny had said to me. If a war comes, I would find a way to fight in it. The only way to do what I wanted was to be a boy. I'd made up my mind, if a war comes, I'm going to fight in it. I looked at the time and noticed it was almost time for dinner. I rushed downstairs and found my family in the drawing room, waiting for dinner.

"There you are, Caroline," Mum said. "We were beginning to think you had run away." I smiled, but thought,

"I wouldn't be surprised." We went into the dining room and began our dinner.

"I've learned more about this Polish invasion, Caroline," Auntie Del told me. "It's getting worse, we might have to enter soon."

"Does that mean George would go and fight?" Sybbie asked, not thinking. George suddenly looked nervous again.

"I think he would if we entered the war, but we might not have too," Nora said, trying to comfort George.

"And if we do," I said. "Then I will too."