Chapter 10: George

"What do you have planned for dinner this evening, Caroline?" I asked her after we'd all finished our lunch.

"Oh nothing special until dinner time, but I have a special dinner planned for you," she said, smiling. "And I think Nora and Sybbie have a surprise planned for you." Nora heard this and came over to Caroline.

"Caroline Talbot," she said. "The point of a surprise is that it is just that, a surprise. He's not supposed to know. That is the whole point of a surprise." The two of them walked off, bickering away about a surprise.

"Well," Sybbie said as she came up behind me. "The new Earl of Grantham. You sure look the part."

"Yes," I responded, but can I play the part, that's the question," I told Sybbie.

"You'll be amazing George," she said.

"I don't know about that," I scoffed.

"Why do you think that?"

"Because I don't feel like I'm ready. I'm eighteen and I have absolutely no idea what I'm to do," I said worriedly.

"If you have any questions, you can always ask my dad or your mother," she said. I looked at her, slightly annoyed.

"But's not a matter of having questions, Sybbie," I said annoyed. "Everyone expects me to suddenly know how to manage the estate and be a good lord to the people in the village. You just can't understand, you have no idea what's it like to have such a burden on your shoulders." Sybbie backed away slightly hurt, but then got angry.

"Don't know what it's like? I don't know what it's like to have burden," she said angrily. "I may not have the same burden as you, but I have a burden, George. Every one of us has a burden. Marigold was born out of wedlock, Grace and Nora had their whole lives uprooted here, Cate has anxiety and has to manage it, Jack is thirteen and learning the same as you, Caroline feels as though she doesn't fit here, and I have a large  burden."

"What is your burden?" I asked.

"I'm absolutely sure you don't remember this, because I barely do, but I still remember. I was around two years old and you were six months. We had a nanny, Nanny West. I remember waking up in the middle of the, crying, and made you cry. She was putting you back to sleep and call me "that chauffeur's daughter" and "a wicked little cross-breed." She called me this because I'm half Irish and English, I'm Catholic and my mother was Anglican, and I was the daughter of a chauffeur. Just because we don't have the same burden, doesn't mean we don't have burdens," she told me and I noticed tears filling her eyes.

"Wow," I said, shocked.

"Yeah, just keep that in mind," Sybbie said and walked over to Nora. I stood there for a moment, thinking about what Sybbie had just said. I slipped out of the drawing room and went up to my room. I sat down on my head and stared out the window. I started thinking about what Sybbie had told me and about the supposed war coming and about everything that worried me.

"Stop George," I told myself. "Think about something good. Think about what surprise Nora and Sybbie have planned." I sat there wondering about what it could be, but the worried thoughts came pushing their way back to the front of my head.

"Are you alright, Master George, I...I mean m'lord," Johnny said, opening the door.

"I'm fine Johnny, just...just...just...just," I couldn't seem to find the right word.

"Overwhelmed?" He suggested.

"That's exactly what I'm feeling," I said. "I just feel as though I can't handle anything that has to do with this job."

"You can handle it, m'lord. Of all the people here, you can handle it. You are a kind and strong young man and a good friend." I looked up at him. Even though he often talked too fast for his own good and was four years younger than me, Johnny was very wise.

"When you tell me that, I almost believe you," I told him, chuckling.

"Well, you should," he said. "Because I know I'm right."

"You are very confident today, Johnny Bates. Why is that?" Johnny looked at me and smiled peacefully.

"Something very nice has happened today and yesterday," he answered.

"And what might that be?"

"I can't say m'lord, but it has." Johnny helped me change for dinner and I left my room to join the rest of my family. I walked toward the dining room, but Caroline blocked the door.

"Sorry George," she said, hurriedly. "You can't go in their until dinner has been set up."

"What do you mean set up?" I asked.

"I can't tell you. You'll just have to wait and see."

"I love you so much and I love how much thought you have put into my birthday, but you are starting to get quite annoying." Caroline laughed and slipped herself back into the dining room. I leaned against the door and waited for a moment before Caroline came back out.

"Are you ready?" She asked, excitedly.

"I don't know," I told her. "You have made no indication of what kind of surprise this is." Caroline smiled from ear to ear and pushed the door open. I walked in and noticed the intricately designed table.

"Every decoration is edible and it's all dessert," Caroline said. "So enjoy!"

"This is amazing, Caroline," I told her. I picked her up and swung her around.

"Put me down, George!" She exclaimed. "Let's eat, I'm starving." I put her down and grabbed a fake candle. I split it in half and handed the other half to Caroline. We took a bite at the same time. It was a white chocolate candle with orange marmalade flames.

"That is amazing, Caroline," I told her. "This is an amazing birthday."

"I'm glad I could make it an amazing birthday." I talked with all of my family, but noticed Sybbie and Nora slip out.

"Where are they going?" I whispered to Cate and Jack. 

"They are doing something," Jack said.

"Well of course they are doing something, stupid. What are they doing though?"

"I know, but I can't say," Cate said, rocking on her heels and visibly pleased with possessing that information.

"You are quite annoying," Jack said.

"As are you," she responded. I left the two of them, arguing, and joined my mother and step father in a corner of the room.

"Are you having a good birthday, darling?" Mum asked.

"I am, but I'm nervous about being a lord," I said, honestly.

"Don't worry, you'll do fine," Mum said.

"That's what everyone says, but I don't really believe them."

"Well you should."

"But I can't stop worrying about all the thi..." I was stopped by a sudden music filling the house. I recognized the opening to my favorite song and Nora and Sybbie burst through the door.

"Happy birthday, George!" They cheered together and everyone went out into the Great Hall.

"Thank you two so much," I told them and approached Nora. "Want to dance?"

"Absolutely, but you better keep up with me." The two of us started the dancing and were followed by the others. I looked around and noticed Caroline ask Johnny to dance. 

"Nora," I said, keeping my eye on them. "Do you think anything is going on between Caroline and Johnny?" Nora looked at me as though I was stupid.

"Of course," she replied. "Have you seen the way those two look at each other when they think the other isn't looking." I laughed with her and we all continued dancing for a while. After a while, Grandpa Robert came running into the room, looking in a panic.

"I'm sorry to interrupt the festivities, but I have an announcement." I felt my stomach flip and my face flush. All of us knew that it was the announcement we had been waiting for. "I'm terribly sorry to announce this, but we are officially at war with Germany and its allies."