Alcohol

"I think you should tell him.." Will hums,
downing another shot from the bar.
Alex nearly chokes on his drink,
"What?!"
"George, I think he should know."

There's silence for a second then Alex finally speaks.

"Mate, how many of those have you had?"
"I'm being serious Al." He sighs.
"He's your best friend, what's the worst that could happen?"
"Well that's just it, isn't it?" Alex swallows, "He's my best friend, if I tell him, I ruin that. I'm not willing to risk our friendship all because I can't control my feelings."
"I just think you'd feel bet-"
"Will it's fine. Leave it, yeah?"

He nods at this, not wishing to start an argument.
"I promise they'll go away soon and everything will be back to normal."
...

But they hadn't.

In-fact two months had passed since that night and his adoration had only exceeded.

Alex was getting desperate, unsure of what to do.

Of all the people to have fallen for, why had he chosen his best friend?
More importantly-his straight best friend.

Literally any other person would've sufficed but no, he had to choose the person he saw everyday..you know..the guy he lived with.

...
As of right now they're both in the flat, Alex's sprawled out on the sofa, staring at the clock.
He's scarcely focusing on the TV, his subconscious streaming with unpalatable perceptions.

He needs something.
Anything to relieve his mind.

Reaching for his phone, he debates doing something he knows he'll regret.

'Should I?'

'F**k it!'

Proceeding into the App Store, he ponders as it re-installs, blinking a few times when it appears on his Home Screen.

'Tinder.'
Scanning the wording he sucks in a breath,
'It's the only way you'll move on.'

Loading it up, he debates adding a few more pictures, partially changing his old bio.

Tossing a few witty remarks under the posts, he shuts it again.
That should do.

It's not even been half an hour and he's already received quite a few matches.
He's dozing off in his seat when,
"Alex!" George shakes his arm, a hint of concern in his eyes.
"Y-yeah?" He stutters awake.
"You're getting a ton of notifications..just thought I'd let you know..in case it was important."
"Oh thanks man." His cheeks grow red at the touch, immediately checking the app.
"Wait..no way." George giggles from beside him.
"What?"
"Is that..Al do you have Tinder?"
"N-no.."
"Oh my god, yes you do!" He scoffs, peering over his shoulder.
Alex stays silent, gulping as George shuffles closer.
"Show me then." He spouts, resting against his arm.
"There's not..I mean..uh-"
"Alex I'm your best mate." George raises an eyebrow, "why're you acting so defensive?"
"I'm not!" He insists. "Just-"

"Ooh who's that?" George interrupts, intrigued as a message from 'Molly.Turner' emerges in chat.
"They're no one." He responds truthfully.
"Doesn't look like no one.." there isn't a finger space between them at this point, George's arm laying lightly across his chest.

Alex freezes at this, cheeks heating up even more.
"Oh crap. I have to go..do..something." Alex lies, racing to his bedroom.

He's well aware of how sceptical he looks but it can't be helped.
George doesn't need to witness how flustered he's emerging under his embrace.

It's not that Alex feels awkward about having a dating app, there isn't a line of dignity between the pair.
Matter of fact, if this was a year or so ago, he'd have happily shown George who he'd matched with alongside exactly what they'd spoken about.