Devil Tarot Card & What it Means

Devil Keywords

UPRIGHT: Shadow self, attachment, addiction, restriction, sexuality

REVERSED: Releasing limiting beliefs, exploring dark thoughts, detachment

Devil Description

The Devil card shows Baphomet, or the Horned Goat of Mendes, a creature that is half man, half goat. Baphomet originally represented the balance between good and evil, male and female, and human and animal; however, more recently, this figure has been linked to the occult and has become a scapegoat for all things considered ‘evil’.

The Devil has the wings of a vampire bat, an animal that sucks the lifeblood out of its prey, symbolic of what happens when you give in to your raw desires. He has a hypnotic stare which ‘magnetises’ and entrances those who come near him, bringing them under his power. Above him is an inverted pentagram – a sign of the darker side of magic and occultism. He raises his right hand in the Vulcan Salute – a Jewish blessing, later made famous by the film series, Star Trek. In his left hand, he holds a lit torch.

At the foot of the Devil stand a man and a woman, both naked and chained to the podium on which the Devil sits. They appear to be held here against their will – but look closer, and you will notice that the chains around their necks are loose and could be easily removed. Each has small horns on their head, like the devil’s, a sign that they are becoming increasingly like him the longer they stay here. Both have tails, a further symbol of their animalistic tendencies and raw instincts, and the grapes and the fire on their respective tails signify pleasure and lust.

NOTE: The Tarot card meaning description is based on the Rider Waite cards.

may I remind you if u read my Real Satan chapter you'll know the devil doesn't have a damned goat head

may I remind you if u read my Real Satan chapter you'll know the devil doesn't have a damned goat head. People are just fucking mental and decided to say that the wiccan horned God is Satan in which he is not

👹goRy