Hogsmeade.

Maybelle was preparing for their trip to Hogsmeade. They were given this privilege before every winter vacation. People usually went in groups to enjoy some butterbeer and basically gossip about the same things they would gossip about at school.

Maybelle, however, was going alone. At least, she planned to do so. Or to be very honest, she didn't have anyone to go with. Zayden was going with his Griffindor buddies.

She did have another friend. If she could even call him a friend. Riddle didn't look very eager to go to Hogsmeade. She doubted that he even got his permission slip signed.

Maybelle checked her satchel for one last time, only to make sure that she took a map and had enough money. She slung it over her shoulder before starting towards the dorm exit. Her eyes fell on the huge portrait of Rowena Ravenclaw. She never spoke much. The lady only blinked at her which she returned with a shrug.

Soon she was gliding down the array of moving stairs to reach the entrance of Hogwarts where all the other students were waiting. Her footsteps stopped abruptly once she heard two familiar voices. She turned her head to see Professor Slughorn's office, not too far behind her.

The girl retreated a few steps and placed her ears against the closed double doors.

"Oh, dear Merlin! I don't think I can do that, Tom," She could hear the hesitation in the professor's voice.

"Please, professor. You are aware of how harsh the orphanage can be. I do not have any legal guardians. This is the only time I will ask. I promise, professor," Riddle's silky sweet voice almost begged Slughorn.

But the slight desperation in his voice did not go unnoticed by the girl who was eves dropping on them without an ounce of guilt. She knew that the professor was already under his grasps. He would eventually sign the papers without any further questions. Therefore, she needed to exit the scene as soon as possible because, in this reality, Tom always found her in the worst possible scenarios.

The girl dashed across the remaining distance and screeched into a halt as soon as she reached the bottom stairs of the Hogwarts entrance where Flitwick was surrounded by the Ravenclaws.

She pushed through the board of students and handed her slip to the professor. He nodded in approval and handed it back to her. Through the corner of her eyes, she spotted a very proud looking Tom coming to join his Slytherin gang along with professor Slughorn following behind him.

She narrowed her eyes in thought. Tom was certainly up to something. In all those years she spent in Hogwarts, not once did he show the slightest interest towards Hogsmeade.

Once all the students were cleared up, they started making their way towards the fun trip. Maybelle kicked through the thick snow that drenched her trousers. She regretted not wearing winter boots, or gloves... or a scarf. Actually, she was only wearing a simple coat over her wool sweaters. That was definitely not enough for the crisp winter.

She was glad she could spend Christmas at home with her family this year. Her main plan was to buy loads of gifts with her savings and surprise Helena and Andrew.

As soon as she reached the small village, the smell of a warm bakery hit her nose. She had to refrain from squealing in delight. But before she could barge into the very welcoming bakery, her eyes fell on a mysterious, yet familiar Slytherin boy.

He looked suspicious. Well, one could never manage to look normal while wearing completely black and heading toward the infamous Mirk alley. The alley was on the outskirts of the village but there was only one path that lead to it. Tom's obvious glances around him and his choice of the very suspicious path surely indicated that he was up to no good.